Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Failed Windows Updating

by danek5 / November 19, 2007 11:09 PM PST

Failed Windows Updating

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

When I am about to switch off the computer, the switch off button notifiies me there are some new Windows updates to install and that it will install them automatically and then switch off the computer. However when I later switch on the computer and then I go to switch it off, the updates are still there to be downloaded again. This happens everytime.

For some reason the computer is not successfully downloading the new updates. What should I do in order to get this problem resolved?

Thanks, danek5.

Time of this report: 10/24/2007, 16:17:34
Machine name: DENNIS-PC
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254)
Language: Italian (Regional Setting: Italian)
System Manufacturer: n/a
System Model: n/a
BIOS: n/a
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~2.9GHz
Memory: 2048MB RAM
Page File: 587MB used, 3352MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 7600 GS
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0392&SUBSYS_34381458&REV_A1
Display Memory: 512.0 MB
Current Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Monitor Plug and Play
Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0011.6371 (English)
DDI Version: 9 (or higher)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by wolf4 : Today at 02:30 PM.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Failed Windows Updating
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Failed Windows Updating
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) To troubleshoot this, find the update's KB number.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 20, 2007 12:11 AM PST
Collapse -
KB number?
by danek5 / November 20, 2007 8:05 AM PST

What is a "KB number"? And when or if I find it - because I don't know what it is - then what do I do with this number?

danek5

Collapse -
Windows Updates...
by tallin / November 20, 2007 9:29 AM PST
In reply to: KB number?
Collapse -
Thanks
by danek5 / November 20, 2007 10:22 AM PST

Thanks for your help. I found the numbers.

Collapse -
If it still doesn't work, try this
by PudgyOne / November 20, 2007 11:20 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

Re-register the Windows Update DLL with the commands below
Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
Type the following commands. Press ENTER after each command.
regsvr32 wuapi.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll
regsvr32 wucltui.dll
regsvr32 wups.dll
regsvr32 wups2.dll
regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Attempt to run Windows Update

Rick

Collapse -
Failed Windows Updating
by danek5 / November 20, 2007 6:46 PM PST

Thanks Pudgyone for your contribution and help. I am now doing what you told me and am running the Windows Update after having followed the steps you gave me.

Yesterday it didn't work - I still had the automatic Windows updates sitting there again. So now I am trying your method. Thanks.

Collapse -
Failed Windows Updating
by danek5 / November 20, 2007 7:30 PM PST

Sorry it still hasn't fixed it. But I have the error code which is: 0x800704C7.

The problem for me now is to go through the long process of finding out and reading up what I need to do to fix this error code.

I will have to do this sometime later today when I have more time. But I thank you very much for trying to help me.

R.Proffitt was correct in pointing out that I need to know what the KB numbers are. Now that I have the error number code I have to read up how to eliminate the problem.

Thank you for your help
danek5

Collapse -
If you already have not secured this link...............
by tallin / November 21, 2007 2:11 AM PST

Try troubleshooting:
http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=693159

Also perhaps this read may help you - I have posted this several times before on this forum, perhaps you missed it.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=943144

Above is handy link re Windows Updates failing to download and install

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You could also follow below which may help you.

Step 1:
Verify that your computer's date and time are accurate and that Internet Explorer language option is not empty.
To check the language setting in Internet Explorer:
1. Click "Tools" and then choose "Internet Options"
2. Click the lanuage button
3. Make sure at least one language is listed in the "Language Options" dialog.

When checking your date (including the year) and time, also check the Internet Time and Time Zone. Double click on the date/time in the notification/system tray area (near the clock) select Internet Time Tab and then select update now. If it's not already checked, check automatically synchronize with an internet Time Server - WinXP.

Step 2:
Also check these settings:
1. Tools>Internet Options> Advanced
2. Scroll down to the Security Settings.
3. Make sure that the two boxes are checked that say "Enable SSL 2" or "Enable SSL 3".
4. Uncheck "Check for server certificate revocation".

Step 3:
Also delete Temporary Internet Files
1. Tools>Internet Options >General
2. Under Temporary Internet files, click Delete Files, Clck OK

Step 4:
1. Tools> Internet Options > Security
Click Trusted sites, click Default level.
Click the sites button and clear the checkbox "Require server verification"
(http:) for all sites in this zone."
Now add the following:
http://*.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
https://*.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
http://download.windowsupdate.com

If required, reboot and try Windows Update again. If still no success, have a look at the following links for more clues.

Make sure you haven't got anything blocking Windows Update like
Nortons,
Zonealarm etc
Also make sure you don't have a Web Accelerator working in the backgound such as
Net Zero
HiSpeed
Speedband etc

Clear out your temporary internet cache

Try a reboot and then try WU again.

Are there any specific error codes that you do see?
At what point does it continue when checking for the latest software, or when checking for updates?

Still no joy, then try Renaming the SoftwareDistribution folder

Click START, Choose Run
In the Run box, type "services.msc. " (without the quotes)
Click OK
Right click the Automatic Updates service,
Click stop.
Stopping the service will take a moment.

Rename the "SoftwareDistribution" folder :
a. Click Start, click Run, type "%systemroot%" (without the quotes" and then click OK.
b. Right click the SoftwareDistribution folder, and then click Rename
c. Type SoftwareDistribution.old, and then press ENTER to rename this folder.

Click START
Choose Run
In the Run box, type "services.msc." without the quotes"
Click OK
Right -click the Automatic Updates service
Click Start.
Starting the service will take a moment.

Reboot if appropriate and try WU again.

Note when you rename the SoftwareDistribution folder - you will loose your history but not important.

Your Windows Update problem is exactly the same as I was having sometime ago and by going through the above (supplied from a Microsoft Newsgroup exchange) you should correct your problem and allow you to download and install WU's again.

Good Luck and don't hesitate to post back if you have a further question.

Hope you get all running correctly soon.

kind regards,

Collapse -
Failed Windows Updating
by danek5 / November 21, 2007 7:56 PM PST

A big thanks from me to you! It worked!

I think it was step 4 that did the trick. I am very grateful to you for giving me the possible solutions.

Thank you for your help!

danek5

Collapse -
Failed Windows Updating
by danek5 / November 22, 2007 3:18 AM PST

Sorry Tallin, I thought it worked but it still keeps reappearing - still shows that there are Updates to download.

I've downe steps 1-4. However you did point out to make sure I have nothing blocking Windows Updates like Nortons etc. Nortons, is that the antivirus programme? I have Panda. But I never had any trouble with the Panda interfering before.

But just recently I had Windows Desktop Search installed. Would that possibly interfer with the Windows Update?

You proposed that I could clear out any temporary internet cache. Where is that exactly? Is that the web history that I do have functioning?

About the error codes, I did have the error codes before but now there are no more error codes. So I do not see why the Windows Update keeps appearing after it has made the downloads?

Sorry,Tallin. I guess that is all except I will have to muddle through and see if there is anything that mentions my problem in any of Windows Troubleshoots.

danek5

Collapse -
Failed Windows Updating
by danek5 / November 22, 2007 3:51 AM PST

Tallin, I just had a thought. The problem wouldn't be due to the fact that I am using the computer in Italy, hence the internet language is Italian however I have changed it to the English language when I am using the internet? I don't even remember now how I changed the language but I did manage to do it!

Could this be the problem?

Collapse -
Here is a link that...................
by tallin / November 22, 2007 4:12 AM PST

may help you.
http://www.castlecops.com/t106642-How_To_Fix_Windows_Update_BITS_AU_Newly_Edited.html

I only found it yesterday, thinking of you with your problem it just came to mind.

The change of language would not in my opinion make any difference, but I have not had experience with that option. Try this added link but post back if that does not work as I think I have one other option that may help. You are rebooting after the changes ............of course you are?

To clear your Windows temporary folder go to start>all programs>accessories>diskcleanup>follow the promps.

Also download and install the following program http://www.stevengould.org/software/cleanup/

Run it regularly to keep your temporary files clear amongst other things (Please read up about it before running it) it is very safe, but you need to know what you are installing and running on your computer.

How long is it since you have defragged your system?

Post back if you need more help here

kind regards,

Collapse -
Follow up
by tallin / November 22, 2007 5:44 AM PST

danek5,

I forgot to advise you to install this audit program, it will tell you if you have any Windows Updates missing amongst lots of other interesting items on your computer.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Collapse -
Thanks
by danek5 / November 23, 2007 3:33 AM PST
In reply to: Follow up

tallin,

Thanks for helping me out. Thanks also for pointing me towards the audit programme and to the software clean up.

I have the CCleaner installed in my computer; is that the same as your software clean up?

The audit programme you recommended me, is that also similar to my CCleaner or to my Windows Desktop Search?

Like I mentioned to PudgyOne, I have just emailed to Microsoft.com disclosing as requested my computer information and hopefully they will help sort out this problem one way or the other.

By the way, I hope that by allowing them access to my computer through ActiveX that does not mean they have access to my business folders, does it? Is ActveX safe with my computer, does it have issues? I ask this because just before downloading it my computer warns me that this may be harmful to my computer. But I proceeded anyway because Microsoft.com requires ActiveX.

PudgyOne kindly gave me a link which I was working through but then I stumbled on the part where I had to read all about backing up the registry and I thought to myself "bloody hell!". So I thought I will probably wait for response from Microsoft.com and if that is no good then I will work through the steps and read up on backing the registry etc.

Anyway I thank you for your help and patience on this matter. I've got a glass of Italian wine on my desk with me so I will drink to your health.

danek5

PS: You must be American. You spelt "programme" as "program". I was born in Toronto, Canada but my parents are Italian and English and at the moment I have been living in Italy for over a year. If I move again, it will probably be back to England.

Collapse -
A glass of Australian wine maybe better.....................
by tallin / November 23, 2007 5:18 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

Oh goodness, sorry for the mispelt 'programme' there are options, but you were right in this case.

"pro

Collapse -
Thanks for all your help
by danek5 / November 23, 2007 5:19 AM PST
In reply to: Follow up

tallin

Thanks for all the writing up you had to do to help me with my silly "niggly" issue with the Windows Update. For all I know you could have been staying up till 4 in the morning!

Anyway finally I think the issue has been resolved. Microsoft.com (God) has contacted me and they made me go through the steps and it worked. They think that I may have had some files that were either corrupted or missing.

But I needed to thank you, "R.Proffitt" and "PudgyOne" for helping me out, spending time with this guy "danek5" writing out steps for him to follow and who doesn't know one end of the computer to the other, when they could have been watching a good film on television!

Thanks for all your keystrokes on my behalf!

Collapse -
Danek5....................
by tallin / November 23, 2007 5:30 AM PST

Hey, it was no problem at all, we enjoy helping others, and you are not a pain in wherever you thought you were!

BUT, now you have the FIX, please let us all know it so we can also learn what to do if it ever happens to us.

Glad the MS result was successful.

kind regards,

Collapse -
The Almighty spoke to me!
by danek5 / November 23, 2007 6:55 AM PST

tallin

Good point you made there. I will reveal to you the magical ingredients that were whispered to me from the "Almighty Heavens" and pray that what I am about to disclose shall be passed on from generation to generation so that the Word of Microsoft.com shall never be forgotten.

He spoke to me thus:

"In the meanwhile, please try the below mentioned steps and see if the issue gets resolved:

1. Delete all the components from Software Distribution folder:

1. Click on Start, choose run type in cmd and click OK.
2. Type NET STOP WUAUSERV and press Enter. (Leave this window open for later use).
3. Open My Computer.
4. Find the folder c:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution
5. Delete all the components from the folder (SoftwareDistribution).
6. Return to the black Window that opened in step 1 type NET START WUAUSERV and click enter.
7. Close all the windows.

Once we have performed the above steps, please access the Windows Update site and see, if the issue is resolved"

From there on I was a changed man! And may you spread the Word!

All the best tallin.

Collapse -
Almighty read from this chapter?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 23, 2007 7:07 AM PST
Collapse -
Thanks danek5....
by tallin / November 23, 2007 8:28 AM PST

Good to have the fix on hand, so simple.

In all your posts I did not see an error code mentioned. Did you ever get the one R Proffit refers to and was actually the fix when followed.

thanks, all the best to you also.

Collapse -
Being in another country
by PudgyOne / November 22, 2007 9:11 AM PST

could be the reason for some problems. I know some other countries block the people from doing some things as simple as viewing videos from the United States.

Going to the control panel and clicking on the Regional and Language Options. Changing this may or may NOT help you. I know some countries don't want you to do certain things and their government can control what is allowed on the internet.

Does anyone near you have a computer and are they having the same problem?

Where was the computer purchased? If it was in Italy then it may only be able to get updates for that language, but don't hold me to that.

Rick

Collapse -
Failed Windows Updating
by danek5 / November 23, 2007 1:29 AM PST

PudgyOne, a lot of thanks for your help and information.

I too thought it may be the language difference and for the fact that Windows XP Home was purchased in Italy. However my brother is here in Italy with Windows purchased in Italy but he does not have any problems with the Windows Update. I have even tried changing the language settings but that didn't do it.

Anyway I have yesterday contacted finally by email to Microsoft.com and they requested that I send to them my computer information etc. I had to download ActiveX - I think that's what it was called - but I was hesitant in doing this. I think I read somewhere about being careful with it. But I downloaded it all the same. Is ActiveX okay or does it have some issue still?

Another small point - but it's too late now - Microsoft.com asked me that I allow them access to my computer, but I hope that does'nt mean they can somehow get access to all of my personal business files.

Once again thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

danek5

Collapse -
Danek. Just one thing I need to know when helping on this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 23, 2007 3:30 AM PST

It's the update in question. It's usually some KBnnnnnn (nnnnnn is some number) that fails to install. One owner had a failed update to IIS and we found they don't run IIS. In one response we were able to write "done."

Bob

Collapse -
Yes I agree
by danek5 / November 23, 2007 3:53 AM PST

R.Proffitt

Yes I agree with you. Because when I went to Windows Update the first time I had these problems sure enough there were about two KB numbers that failed to download. So I knew then that that was where the "bl**dy" problem was.

However, and I no longer know how I did it after following someone's steps, the error numbers are no longer there! They all got green tick marks saying successfully installed. And yet, time and again the pop up comes up saying I have Windows Updates to install!

Anyway I have just contacted Microsoft.com, God himself, and I will see what happens next. If that fails then I will try the steps advocated at "Castlecops" at: http://www.castlecops.com/t106642-How_To_Fix_Windows_Update_BITS_AU_Newly_Edited.html

It was the part on doing a registry back up that made me decide to wait for response from Microsoft.com.

Thanks for your concern.

danek5

Collapse -
Thanks for clearing that up.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 23, 2007 4:19 AM PST
In reply to: Yes I agree

I had missed that and was poking around (reading your posts) for a KBnnnnnn to look at.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by danek5 / November 23, 2007 4:54 AM PST

R.Proffitt

Actually I owe you thanks for trying to help me out. You were the first one to answer my call of help.

But now I can leave everybody in peace. Microsoft.com (God) has just contacted and made me go through some steps and now the problem is solved.

So I thank you, "PudgyOne" and "tallin" for coming to my aid and taking the time and energy to solve this. Thank you.

Collapse -
Thank you PudgyOne
by danek5 / November 23, 2007 5:00 AM PST

PudgyOne

A big thank you for trying to find a solution for me and for directing me to some sites. Actually I may go to those sites later in in the future because it was quite interesting.

Microsoft.com (God) has replied to me and now the issue seems to be solved! So I thank you, "tallin" and "R.Proffitt" for trying to help me out. Now I can stop being a "pain in the a**" to everyone!

Thanks for you help to help.

Collapse -
Sorry, I didn't do that.
by PudgyOne / November 23, 2007 4:55 PM PST
In reply to: Thank you PudgyOne

Bob and tallin deserve the credit. They are the ones to thank.

Rick

Collapse -
KB936181
by Bowwie / November 23, 2007 5:04 AM PST

Yeah , I know what you mean , I was in touch with MS and here is the fix , it worked for me .

This issue occurs when the components of MSXML 4.0 SP2 are not working properly. We can reinstall MSXML 4.0 SP2 and then reinstall its update KB936181 to troubleshoot this issue.

For your convenience, the detailed steps are outlined below:

Step 1: Reinstall MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 2
================================
1. Please refer to the following link to download MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 2

http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/6/5/9657c01e-107f-409c-baac-7d249561629c/msxml.msi

2. When the File Download window appears, please click the Save button, and follow the directions to save it to the Desktop.
3. After downloading this file, please double-click the "msxml.msi" file on the Desktop. Then the installation will be performed automatically.
4. If you receive three options "Modify", "Repair", and "Remove", please click "Remove" and follow the instructions to remove MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 2.

5. After removing it, please double-click "msxml.msi" file again, click "Install Now" button, and then follow the instructions.

After reinstalling MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 2, please move on to step 2 to install the update KB936181.

Step 2: Reinstall MSXML 4.0 SP2 Security Update (KB936181)
============================================
1. Please download the update from the following link:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/4/2/9422e6b6-08ee-49cb-9f05-6c6ee755389e/msxml4-KB936181-enu.exe

2. When the File Download window appears, please click the Save button, and follow the directions to save it to the Desktop.
3. After downloading this file, please double-click the " msxml4-KB936181-enu.exe" file on the Desktop. Then the installation will be performed automatically.

4. After finishing the above steps, please check the result on the Windows Update website again.

Hope it works for all !!

Bowwie
Canada

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.