Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Storage forum

General discussion

Failed test, bad sectors, heat spike on primary drive. GRRRR

by Dango517 / May 31, 2008 8:16 PM PDT

Yesterday my system began to hang badly. I noticed the primary hard drive C: was recording a heat spike of 54 degrees C. The maximium operating temperature for this drive is 54 degrees C. I then downloaded and ran Western Digitals diagnostic tool and received these results:

Test Option: EXTENDED TEST
Model Number: WDC WD2500JS-60NCB1
Unit Serial Number: WD-WMANK4380345
Firmware Number: 10.02E02
Capacity: 250.06 GB
SMART Status: PASS
Test Result: FAIL
Test Error Code: 08-Error was detected while repairing bad sectors.
Test Time: 05:20:12, June 01, 2008

Test Option: QUICK TEST
Model Number: WDC WD2500JS-60NCB1
Unit Serial Number: WD-WMANK4380345
Firmware Number: 10.02E02
Capacity: 250.06 GB
SMART Status: PASS
Test Result: FAIL
Test Error Code: 06-Quick Test on drive 2 did not complete! Status code = 07 (Failed read test element), Failure Checkpoint = 70 (Scan Test - Quick) SMART self-test did not complete on drive 2!
Test Time: 05:33:25, June 01, 2008

This says to me that there is a problem in the test function but I was also notified that there were bad sectors on the drive and that the diagnostic program could not repaired. My guess is key componets in the OS are loaded within these sectors.

So if I reformat the drive and reinstall the OS the bad sector might go away but what about the heat spike. Up until yesterday this drive ran very reliably at between 32-40 degrees C. Is this heat spike an indication of a mechanical problem as well or could the software and bad sector problems cause the drive temperatures to rise this dramatically? The drive is functioning now and running at 37C.

About this drive, the specifications:

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/productspecs.asp?driveid=135

About my PC, the specifications:

Source PC Wizard 2008

Owner :
User :
Operating System : Windows Vista (TM) Business Professional 6.00.6001 Service Pack 1
Report Date : Sunday 01 June 2008 at 06:04

System Summary
Mainboard : Hewleet-Packard Asterope3
Chipset : ATI RS400/RC400/RC410
Processor : Intel Pentium D 820 @ 2800 MHz
Physical Memory : 2048 MB (2 x 1024 DDR2-SDRAM )
Video Card : Nvidia Corp GeForce 8600 GT
Hard Disk : WDC (250 GB)
Hard Disk : WDC (40 GB)
DVD-Rom Drive : HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GSA-H20L ATA Device
Monitor Type : COMPAQ COMPAQ FS7600 - 16 inches
Network Card : D-Link Inc DGE-530T V.B1 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (rev 11)
Network Card : Realtek Semiconductor RT8139 (A/B/C/810x/813x/C+) Fast Ethernet Adapter
Operating System : Windows Vista (TM) Business Professional 6.00.6001 Service Pack 1
DirectX : Version 10.00
Windows Performance Index : 4.7

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Failed test, bad sectors, heat spike on primary drive. GRRRR
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Failed test, bad sectors, heat spike on primary drive. GRRRR
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Error correction and addition
by Dango517 / May 31, 2008 8:30 PM PDT
Collapse -
Repeated attempts to read a bad sector
by samkh / June 1, 2008 1:57 AM PDT

will raise the temp quickly. Your issue **might** be related to the download but only sure way to tell is if you experiment, which btw I wouldn't advise. It must be an oven in that box with barely enough airflow with all the stuff you have in it and a 2.8GHz PD!!! Raid the piggy bank rightaway and get a C2D or C2Q system to help the economy.

Collapse -
Thanks for your comment
by Dango517 / June 1, 2008 5:00 AM PDT

The temperatures in the Tower are OK but lots of work has been done to keep/get it that way, with information I was able to acquire mostly from overclockers. (Real time temperatures at the moment are 51C CPU, 61C GPU, 41C for this hard drive. It's warm here today in the mid 80s F) Frankly, there are several issues I'd like to deal with on this PC instead of spending the money on a hard drive, like a 400-600 watt PS. This one has 250 watts. I think we'd all like to stick with the up grade path and stay off the repair trail.

Collapse -
The grim update
by Dango517 / June 2, 2008 4:11 AM PDT

Three software programs, Windows Vista checkdisk, WD Digital Data Lifeguard Diagnostics and Iolo's' Drive Medic have failed to solve the problem. There seems to be a bad sector that is unrepairable. The hard drive does not seem to be mechanically failing. The heat spike recorded earlier has not returned.

So, I'll attempt to salvage it. I have nothing to loss but will order another hard drive and attempt to make this one into a seldom used backup drive.

I'm going to try and isolate the bad sector(s?) by reinstalling the OS then "shrinking" it as small as possible, then creating a new drive behind, I hope, the bad sectors. I might end up with a 100GB+ hard drive out of 250GBs orginally. Wish me luck.

Collapse -
I wouldn't
by samkh / June 2, 2008 7:28 AM PDT
In reply to: The grim update

keep that drive in the system. If your low level formatter failed to revive it, there could be damaged firmware sectors or a chip or board defect. Sooner or later you'll lose it. It's sunk cost no matter how much you paid, so don't prize it too much. 500GB Seagate is under $100.

Collapse -
Event viewer showing
by Dango517 / June 2, 2008 10:23 AM PDT
In reply to: I wouldn't

"bad memory block" this is closely linked to the virtual memory. Vista memory test showed nada wrong with the memory that is less then three months old. This also explain why the checkdisk failed early in the 4 of 5th stage (data files) at or around sector 800. I think a system reboot will repair it. Bad programing is one cause for hard drive failure, like some very corrupt files in virtual memory or files near it.

The drive I just purchased, just in case, is a:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1304&p_created=1103826689&p_sid=Ajfvfj5j&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MSwxJnBfcHJvZHM9JnBfY2F0cz0xODUmcF9wdj0mcF9jdj0xLjE4NSZwX3BhZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PVdEMzIwMEpCUlRM&p_li=&p_topview=1

Collapse -
I might be off line for a few hours, maybe days.
by Dango517 / June 2, 2008 10:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Event viewer showing

Like I said at the top of the post. GRRRRRRRRRRR!

Collapse -
I was just thinking.........
by Dango517 / June 2, 2008 12:36 PM PDT

I'm wondering what I would think if a plumber approached me and asked what he should do about his leaking toilet? Well I'd probable think.... "what kind of plumber is this guy". Since I'm that plumber in this situation, I'd say I was dealing with a plumber who was not afraid to ask for a second opinion. Grin

OS re-installation well under way. All files transferred too second back drive. Next for the OS installation, then programs, then file back to there places. All files are in my documents on the second drive. Take note of the time.

Collapse -
Windows Explorer failed to initiate
by Dango517 / June 2, 2008 2:07 PM PDT

This drive is a dude. The next step for it will be the receiving end of a five pound sledge hammer. A brutal but effective way to wipe the drive and secure it. Besides, at this point maybe an enjoyable experience. Mischief

Collapse -
spinrite
by mementh / June 2, 2008 3:14 PM PDT

you might want to try it man.. it fixes bad sectors and can repair it/recover that sector in some cases..

its $89 but seriously.. why not?

Collapse -
(NT) Excellent product..something no good Geek should be without
by VAPCMD / June 2, 2008 10:33 PM PDT
In reply to: spinrite
Collapse -
I'm back
by Dango517 / June 3, 2008 1:46 AM PDT

I only spent $99.00 for the new drive. After 4 four hours at trying to install it, only to find out that it doesn't install well with a USB drive and a memory stick installed. Pulled them out and it fired right up. GRRRRRRRRRRR! Those micro drives must of confused it.

Runs well, by the way, quick and snappy.

Why all this concern about me installing a new drive?

Collapse -
99 for 320 ?????
by samkh / June 3, 2008 2:59 AM PDT
In reply to: I'm back

you've got to move to a city with a Fry's. That's why we're concerned.

Collapse -
checked same drive on newegg
by Dango517 / June 3, 2008 10:19 AM PDT
In reply to: 99 for 320 ?????

$87.00, includes shipping.

Collapse -
why not?
by samkh / June 3, 2008 1:55 AM PDT

'cause 500 gig (occasionally 750 on sale), perpendicular, low energy, silent drives are under 100 bucks, and SSD is coming.

And no one should be w/o backups, right?

It's like owning oil filter and lug nut wrenches.

Collapse -
Do not need 500 or 700 GB
by Dango517 / June 3, 2008 10:41 AM PDT
In reply to: why not?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!