Windows Vista forum

Question

Failed Ophcrack Boot, Now System Won't Boot

by mr_orangepeel / June 26, 2012 2:32 AM PDT

I tried to boot with Ophcrack, and was met with a blank screen. Powered off then on, removed disk, then powered off and on again to restart system. System is not booting now, even tried safe mode, still just a blank screen.

Anything I can do to try to get the system to boot up?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Failed Ophcrack Boot, Now System Won't Boot
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Failed Ophcrack Boot, Now System Won't Boot
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Sorry but I have to ask.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 26, 2012 2:36 AM PDT

Since NTPASSWD can reset that password in about 5 or less minutes and has done so for some thousand times for me, I am left to ask why OPHCRACK?

Maybe it's because folk want to guess the password rather than clear it? I can't guess but hope you can explain why you would use that crack.

-> Before we begin repair, let's read you got your files out.

And then let's hear about what Vista DVD you have. If this is a Dell, you see Dell allows a download if you forgot yours. -> http://forums.cnet.com/7726-13974_102-5325452.html?tag=posts;msg5325452

Bob

Collapse -
No good answer for that...
by mr_orangepeel / June 26, 2012 2:47 AM PDT

I would categorize my use of Ophcrack and not NTPASSWD as general ignorance, I haven't heard about NTPASSWD. I'm not that experienced, and I read some good things about Ophcrack, so I used it. I guess I should have come here first.

This is a Compaq Presario. You're saying that I need to re-install windows vista completely?

Collapse -
That's a good answer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 26, 2012 2:54 AM PDT

If you don't know, you don't know.

--> REPAIR of the OS varies with the tools at hand. I don't see any detail about what Vista DVD you have or if this machine came with just restore media (or the system where you create such.)

That lack of detail means I can only offer this as the cure.

1. Get your files out with help from
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/

2. Then you are ready to restore to the factory load.

Some folk think what we read about repairing Windows applies to factory supplied Windows. It often does not because the OEM version is stripped of the recovery console and more.

In case you wonder why, it's simple. As the OEM must provide support they strip away features and commands we get in the full version since they would have to answer how to use the recovery console if they installed it or supplied it on the DVD.
Bob

Collapse -
Maybe this will help?
by mr_orangepeel / June 26, 2012 3:43 AM PDT
In reply to: That's a good answer.

Sorry, this isn't my personal computer, and the org that maintains this computer has not kept track of anything that goes with it... all that I can find is a dvd+r that says "Vista Business" 32-bit.

Collapse -
The fact it is a DVD-R means to me
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 26, 2012 3:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Maybe this will help?

That's a RESTORE DVD so before you try it you save the files.

But it's not your PC so why not fix with the restore media and let their IT staff deal with the rest?
Bob

Collapse -
Got system to boot...
by mr_orangepeel / June 27, 2012 1:16 AM PDT

But I still have to try to find out the password. What's the info on NTPASSWD? Have any tips or tricks for a 'noob' using that crack?

Collapse -
NTPASSWD is no crack.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 27, 2012 1:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Got system to boot...

It resets the admin password and then we can get in. It's widely documented so I don't write a tutorial here. I will comment if a person gets stuck but frankly it's a 2 minute job here to use it.

But there are folk that want to see screen shots, step by step so I understand why folk ask.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.