PC Hardware forum

Question

Failed HDD

by GoingToHangMyself / March 17, 2015 4:21 AM PDT

I accidentally disconnected a backup HDD while my PC was running and have destroyed the MBR or something! I know it is possible to restore it because I did that for someone years ago but I've forgotten how it goes. Does anyone know - it can't be done in Command Prompt as far as I can see,

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Failed HDD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Failed HDD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
So let's say it's a backup.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 17, 2015 4:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Failed HDD

Why would we need to save what's on there? Just wipe it clean with the usual tools and backup again. Many fine reasons to refresh that file system!

If we are talking data recovery (you admit this is not a backup copy?) then we clone the drive and operate on the clone. This way we can try tools and commands over and over.

http://windowsitpro.com/systems-management/fix-unbootable-systems-bootsect notes the force bootsect command.
Bob

Collapse -
Failed HDD
by GoingToHangMyself / March 17, 2015 8:56 PM PDT

Okay, I called it a backup drive but it isn't the backup drive in Windows 7 terms. This drive carries Arduino project files I have been working on all winter which is why I'm going to hang myself! And no, I forgot to amend my backup regime in Windows so this drive carries the only copy!!!! Don't tell me I'm a fool, I know it.
The moment I saw Windows wasn't recognising the drive I guessed what I'd done. It's disconnected now and will stat that way until I am double certain that any attempt at recovery won't destroy the data.

Collapse -
That's better. OK, now you see why
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 17, 2015 10:43 PM PDT
Collapse -
Cloning Hdd
by GoingToHangMyself / March 18, 2015 1:43 AM PDT

So how do you clone the hard disk please?

Ade

Collapse -
Your choices are many there.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 18, 2015 1:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Cloning Hdd

I've used Clonezilla for years for many reasons. From outright bit by bit copies to saving an image to a folder on another drive. Google CLONEZILLA ALTERNATIVES if you must.
Bob

Collapse -
Clonezilla
by GoingToHangMyself / March 18, 2015 11:55 PM PDT

Thanks. I notice the download mentions using FAT file system, mine is NTFS. Do I just carry on or is the program unsuitable?
Ade

Collapse -
Clonezilla part 2
by GoingToHangMyself / March 19, 2015 12:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Clonezilla

I have extracted the zip file to a USB drive. I an supposed to start makeboot bat in the Win32 directory but my PC is 64 bit and there is a Win64 directory. Should I use the file in the latter?
Ade

Collapse -
Strange. I never did that!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 19, 2015 12:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Clonezilla part 2
Collapse -
Clonezilla part 3
by GoingToHangMyself / March 19, 2015 3:00 AM PDT

The need to extract the download file was because I used a USB drive. Everything worked fine ..... in the end .... except that the destination disk was found to be smaller than the source disk - even though they are both identical, Spinpoint 1TB.The target disc has 1953516911 (sectors?) while the source has 1953525168.
The data on the source disk is only about one eighth of the capacity of the disk so it should fit easily onto the target disk shouldn't it?
Now, Clonezilla said to use Partclone option -C. It sounded right. What is that? How do I do it?
Ade.

Collapse -
To clone we need same or larger target drives.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 19, 2015 3:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Clonezilla part 3

It does not shrink when we do this. You don't want to shrink because the file allocation table is blown. Only an exact bit copy clone is to be trusted.

As to the 1TB to the other, Maxwell Smart said it well. "Missed it by that much."
Bob

Collapse -
Part 5
by GoingToHangMyself / March 19, 2015 3:14 AM PDT

Looking at the time on your reply, you are in the US right?

I don't understand about shrink. Does Clonezilla shrink the files? I thought it would just recover files until it ran out of space. It wouldn't have to shrink very much would it? Something like 0.0005%!
Couldn't I try it anyway? The data on the source file would not be erased would it? Tell me how please.
Ade

Collapse -
Clonezilla does have an option
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 19, 2015 3:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Part 5

To backup only used areas of the drive but since the allocation area is suspect I would not call that a good thing. Besides we need a bit copy full clone to work the repairs on.

Again, let's say a file is erased, the file allocation table (FAT) that Clonezilla might use to skip is untrustworthy since we are going to use tools to find the file beginning and try to recover the rest. If Clonezilla used the FAT then recovery would fail.

Also this is another reason we don't write to the last copy or drive. The FAT can't be trusted so if we did run recovery software and it wrote to said drive then it could overwrite the very file contents we wanted to save.

Let's be honest here. Recovery at the usual houses is 500+ bucks. A 2TB drive is under 99 bucks. Are your files worth that much?
Bob

Collapse -
Clonezilla part 4
by GoingToHangMyself / March 19, 2015 3:03 AM PDT

Yes Bob, I read that, I've read everything I can because I'm scared stiff I'll lose the data I'm trying to recover!
Ade

Collapse -
Clonezilla 6
by GoingToHangMyself / March 19, 2015 4:22 AM PDT

Ninety-nine dollars? I think that here it's more like double that!
Is it not possible to just reinstall the system files etc?

Collapse -
Example.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 19, 2015 4:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Clonezilla 6
Collapse -
clonezilla 7
by GoingToHangMyself / March 19, 2015 6:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Example.

Yet Bob, it is possible to reinstall such files to get Windows up and running isn't it?

Collapse -
Sure but you can kiss the files goodbye.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 19, 2015 7:05 AM PDT
In reply to: clonezilla 7

The file allocation table blown like this means we accept we're not going to get other files back.

You can install the OS on your slightly smaller 1TB drive for now if you need to get a working PC today.
Bob

Collapse -
Clonezilla 7
by GoingToHangMyself / March 19, 2015 9:02 PM PDT

Thanks for your help Bob

Collapse -
Success?!!
by GoingToHangMyself / March 19, 2015 9:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Clonezilla 7

I have an image of the corrupted disk now! What do I do now?

Collapse -
Now you can try these titles on the Clone.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 20, 2015 2:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Success?!!
Collapse -
Answer
MBR can be resuilt
by brycefoster / April 2, 2015 1:45 PM PDT

if MBR gets damaged only, you can rebuild it and the HDD will be OK agian.
but if partitions on the hard are gone, you need to saerch lost partition and then restore partition table.
now you can connect the HDD to computer and go to Disk Management or Windows Explorer, then check whether partitins are fine. if not, you can use partitionguru free to restore partition table and rebuild MBR. I've had luck with the tool. www.eassos.com/partitionguru-free.php
good luck let me know if this doen't work

Collapse -
PartitionGuru
by GoingToHangMyself / April 3, 2015 6:36 AM PDT
In reply to: MBR can be resuilt

I'll give it a try in a day or two - thanks.

Collapse -
(NT) Try it on the clone, not on the original!
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 3, 2015 6:58 AM PDT
In reply to: PartitionGuru
Collapse -
Partition Guru
by GoingToHangMyself / April 7, 2015 1:08 AM PDT

I have tried Partition Guru, both in Partition Recovery and File Recovery. Partition recovery ran with no obvious result. File recovery runs to about half way then grinds to a halt. It can be restarted and appears to take up where it stopped before seizing up again. I've done this three times and progress is painfully slow. So far it has been running for about six hours in total and is still only 74% complete perhaps because the HDD is large(1TB).
There is a long list of Read Sector Error reports but I'll persevere to the end if I can.

Collapse -
(NT) That doesn't look hopeful.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 7, 2015 1:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Partition Guru
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?