Question

failed avg anti-virus uninstallation created problems

Using Windows 7, Error code appeared during trial version avg anti-virus uninstall and stated that operation was unsuccessful. Tried repeatedly but computer will not even start the uninstall process. While trying to download new 2011 free avg, the application exe file appears to save ok but will not show up on desktop or anyother location for me to access. Tried other software applications from cnet and got same results. Also restore operation did not work.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: failed avg anti-virus uninstallation created problems
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: failed avg anti-virus uninstallation created problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
That's not a good sign.

I find that most of the time that's a sign of a malware infection or the owner was using registry cleaners or deleting files instead of uninstalling. It's also possible some other app conflicted.

The story is light but let's begin with Grif's advice to scan and remove common malware.
READ --> 7726-6132_102-5098912.html?tag=posts;msg5099421
Bob

- Collapse -
Failed avg uninstallation created problems

I've followed your recommended procedure step by step, however still unable to download new free avg or any software. Cannot open or turn on current avg and also it will not respond when trying to uninstall. I did have success in transferring all the required files from clean computer to my window 7 laptop.

- Collapse -
Many folk can't download.

If you can't download any software that's also a sign of malware damage.

HOWEVER what many thought was removing the malware would fix the damage. SADLY nothing is farther from the truth.

I did re-read this discussion and find no clues as to what hit the machine. So repair is going to be a mystery for now.
Bob

- Collapse -
avg anti-virus fixed and download problems resolved

using your suggestion to save files from clean computer to flash drive or cd, i was able to run a avg.exe file unto my laptop. The reinstallation over top my current copy of avg somehow must have fixed the corruption associated with the anti-virus program and consequently I can now download software. Thanks again.

CNET Forums