Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Fail-safe system to prevent driving drunk

Toyota Motor Corp. is developing a fail-safe system for cars that detects drunken drivers and automatically shuts the vehicle down if sensors pick up signs of excessive alcohol consumption, a news report said Wednesday.

Nissan Motor Co., another Japanese car manufacturer, has already been experimenting with breathalyzer-like devices that could detect if a driver was drunken. Similar technologies, such as alcohol ignition interlocks, are in use in the U.S. and elsewhere

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory?id=2766963

Friends take away the car key of a person under the influence. But the might give in to the "I'm not drunk!" pleas, but the fail-safe system won;t.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Fail-safe system to prevent driving drunk
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Fail-safe system to prevent driving drunk
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
There are ways around it

In reply to: Fail-safe system to prevent driving drunk

Have someone else breathe into it for you, etc. It's a good system that's been around for awhile, but it's not foolproof.

Collapse -
We're seeing an attitude change here in NM,

which is also preventive. Still a big problem, though.

A couple of commercials running during the holidays unashamedly addressed two big factors: "Good ol' boy" drinking and driving, and alcoholism in the First Nations.

Collapse -
Hope it continues to work!

In reply to: We're seeing an attitude change here in NM,

Off-topic, but I didn't realize you live in NM.

We used to visit there quite a bit, and enjoyed it very much. There is so much variation in topography, and interesting ans unique sights.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Yep, it's quite a place. I lived

In reply to: Hope it continues to work!

in big cities until the last 10-12 years; now Albuquerque traffic makes me nervous. Happy

Roughly 1.5 million people in the Long Beach CA metro area. Same number here - in the 5th largest state. (And probably half of us were driving drunk at any given moment.)

I think we're supposed to have 5 of the 6 possible climatic zones here.

Collapse -
Here in Nassau County Long Island (NY)

In reply to: Yep, it's quite a place. I lived

we have a district attorney who is making it her offices business to prosecute drunk drivers as common criminals and see that instead of a
just a ticket they feel the full weight of the law!

So far several violators involved in fatal (to others) accidents have been convicted of 2cnd degree murder and gotten 25 to life behind bars.

They and their families are screaming bloody murder (pun intended) but
when you get down to basics they got what they deserved.In all instances these people had a long history of DWI and should have been stopped earlier.

I feel that if these devices prevent one fatal accident they ought to be mandated by law!

Collapse -
Yep, a life is worth a lot.

In reply to: Here in Nassau County Long Island (NY)

We still have cases of a fatal accident bringing a repeat offender to the public's attention - 15 prior arrests and 10 convictions, e.g.

We have a "vehicular manslaughter" law, but I don't know if the penalties run the way they would for a gun crime.

Collapse -
Here "vehicular homicide" is a relatively light sentence

In reply to: Yep, a life is worth a lot.

of two to four years. The ones who got 25 to life were convicted of "depraved indifference for life" which is 2cnd degree murder and punished accordingly.

Collapse -
Sounds logical. Has to make sense to

In reply to: Here "vehicular homicide" is a relatively light sentence

the appellate court or it gets tossed out. Good move.

Collapse -
re: fail-safe system to prevent driving drunk

One word:
PREVENTION

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.