General discussion

Factory Image (D) full/red & computer running way too slow

The Factory Image (D) drive on my HP Pavilion (Vista) PC got so full it was red. I defragged, cleaned, shrank and finally deleted it. My computer is still running so slow. I also did a full system recovery back to factory settings. My computer is still so slow I can hardly do anything, or I have to wait so long for downloads. What can I do to improve the speed of my computer?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Factory Image (D) full/red & computer running way too slow
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Factory Image (D) full/red & computer running way too slow
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Many Vista machines were slow from day one.

And when owners installed multiple protections like Norton and Spybot for example, performance was not a word we would use.

Let's see what you revealed about the machine. Not much?
Bob

- Collapse -
More Info about problem PC

The computer is a HP Pavilion a6514f with 500GB hard drive, a little over 1 year old, Vista Home Premium SP1, 3 GB memory. I would think that since I did clean, defrag and finally delete the full factory image (D) drive that that 10GB space would be freed up and the computer would speed back up but that did not happen. It still runs as slow as it did before. I can't even open a game at pogo.com. I have been downloading the many windows updates since I did the system restore back to factory settings but nothing seems to help with the speed. The computer is slower than dial up! Please, any help would be greatly appreciated.

- Collapse -
Product link.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01489512&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&lc=en&dlc=fr&cc=be&lang=fr&product=3757425

This machine is your typical pentium dual core value machine. There are many factors that could cause it to run slowly but one you didn't tell was about the yearly cleaning. Watch the video at http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-11319_7-6240575-1.html

Why this matters is this CPU will pull back on the clock rate when it gets warm. Many are never told about this yearly task.

Other factors include USB devices and conflicting softwares.

If a restore was done recently I find the updates can take a week to get done. Meanwhile the owners complain about the lack of speed.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info