Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

fact or fiction, XP Pro x64

by Bobby9093 / May 3, 2007 7:35 AM PDT

i got XP Pro x64 what seams like a year ago now, (in fact when we took the computer to PC world, the guy behind the counter thought that we had downloaded it because as far as he knew it wasn't out and was still in beta...when we got it on disk) when i installed it on my system i did notice and incredible speed increase, but also incredible incompatibility with software. but times have changed and i was wondering if XP x64 has developed enough to work all my programs. mainly i want to work my hp printer, MS office, AOL and FireFox. doing a quick bit of research i can see that most of the software i have will run on 64-bit, but what i really want to know is, is it worth it? does it work really yet? any help would be excellent thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: fact or fiction, XP Pro x64
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: fact or fiction, XP Pro x64
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'll write no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 3, 2007 7:46 AM PDT

But if you can find all the drivers, antivirus, firewall and such it can work very nicely. But between Dunken and you that makes about a fistful of users out there.

Collapse -
I'll give it a try.
by Bobby9093 / May 3, 2007 7:56 AM PDT
In reply to: I'll write no.

I've got a spare 80GB HDD, ill put that in a install it and see how it goes. if it goes bad I'll just forget about it for a little while longer, if it works, I'll think about upgrading my main system to x64. thanks for the help, I'll post back my findings.

Collapse -
It's worth about 99 to 100 bucks any way you look at it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 3, 2007 8:13 AM PDT
In reply to: I'll give it a try.

In fact if your tongue was made of silver you would call Microsoft and ask for a free Vista upgrade due to your woe with XP 64.

Collapse -
by jackson dougless / May 3, 2007 8:56 AM PDT

The 64-bit version of XP Pro wasn't really meant for generalized use. It was partly to make AMD happy, having a version of Windows that uses their x86-64 instruction set is a major validation for them, and part hold over for people who might need/want a 64-bit OS and didn't want to wait for Vista.

As far as Microsoft, and most everyone else in the IT world, is concerned, XP Pro x64 is kind of the ******* child no one talks about. Sort of like the old versions of NT that ran on Alpha (may HP forever burn in the deepest pits of hell for killing off that chip instead of the vastly inferior PA-RISC), PowerPC, and Sparc processors, and the Itanium oriented Windows. It didn't help that it came out during the downswing of the XP lifecycle, and everyone was anticipating the release of Vista. Making matters even worse, is that only a very small fraction of people will ever use XP Pro x64. Pegging the number at 1% of all Windows users would probably be extremely generous, which makes it an unattractive prospect to sink development costs into for drivers, app compatibility, etc. Then there's the fact that the majority of programs will not see any benefit from the move to 64-bit. Only programs that use a lot of 64-bit variables will see any performance increase, and programs that require over 4GB of memory will benefit from that.

Vista is really the first consumer oriented version of Windows to be released in a 64-bit flavor. So in a way, you could say XP Pro x64 was kind of a practice run for Vista. All the compatibility effort is going to be going towards Vista, not XP Pro x64. Don't expect things to ever get much better than they are now. If you want a 64-bit OS, get Vista or Linux.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?