Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Faces of Meth

by Cindi Haynes / March 4, 2005 1:59 AM PST

Our local paper had an article referencing this site, and I must say I was so disturbed, I thought I'd share it with you.

The link is to the Oregonian, in Portland, Oregon. Oregon treats more people per capita for meth addiction than any other state. Meth has been steadily moving across the country, and has been more prominent in NC the past 2 or 3 years. Aside from the (explosive) dangers of making meth, it leaves people ravaged from it's effects. I had no idea how badly! Maybe these pictures will stop someone from trying it that first time.

http://www.oregonlive.com/special/oregonian/meth/

Follow the link near the bottom right side of the page marked "The Faces of Meth - Photos" and again on the page it takes you to.

Note how little time it takes to do so much damage.

--Cindi
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email the mods

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Faces of Meth
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Faces of Meth
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
re
by MKay / March 4, 2005 2:30 AM PST
In reply to: Faces of Meth

This is a very upsetting situation... and probably not enought attention paid to it.... Thanks for posting it...

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Seems to make you thinner...I'm just sayin'
by Rick S / March 4, 2005 2:41 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Funny....., in a tragic sort of way.
by Ziks511 / March 5, 2005 2:14 PM PST
Collapse -
I must decline your kind offer.
by drpruner / March 4, 2005 4:40 AM PST

Seen enough in real life, thanks.

Lately in NM it seems the busted labs all have young kids living there. It's known the manufacture is hazardous to their. health, aside from the explosions and fires.

Something else I think I notice from COPS and the evening news: Meth users are in more denial than other type users.

BTW, itty bitty towns up north near Taos are getting known for per-capita use of heavy-duty heroin.

Anyway, thanks for the thread. I agree the problem does need publicity.
Regards, Doug in New Mexico

Collapse -
I am ashamed to say...
by Angeline Booher / March 4, 2005 6:34 AM PST

... that my state ranks third in the nation in meth-lab related incidents.

Drug makers use cold medication containing ephedrine or pseudoephedrine, then mix and cook in other ingredients such as gasoline, rubbing alcohol, antifreeze, chlorine, drain cleanser and chemical fertilizer.

http://www.tennessean.com/government/archives/05/01/66430701.shtml?Element_ID=66430701

No link, but recently a college senior chemistry major was arrested. It was said to be the most sophisticated set up the authorities had ever seen. The garage that served as a lab was also booby-trapped with pipe bombs.The senior was armedm but finally put down his weapon.

Angeline

click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
What is da difference?
by Henry Zack / March 4, 2005 11:02 PM PST

Anyone knows the difference between Meth and amfethamine? Crack is supposed to be concentraded Cocaine and less expensive. Wouldn't a higher concentration of the drug be more expensive?

Collapse -
re
by MKay / March 5, 2005 12:17 AM PST
In reply to: What is da difference?

Many do not know & many do not care.... This is a serious situation and this is a very good article, that IMO should be included in every drug counseling and learning program. If nothing else be passed on to every parent....

Collapse -
During the summers when I was in university I worked for a
by Ziks511 / March 5, 2005 2:25 PM PST

Crisis Intervention group with kids on drugs, mostly hallucinogenics, but in 1968 Methamphetamine hit like the wrath of God. Not a pleasant summer or fall or winter. The fashion, if you can call it that, slowly died out over the next 4 years only to reemerge 25 years later. The classic speed-freak is a passive-dependent personality, without the drugs most of them are pretty harmless, and sort of depressed.

I had the pleasure of removing the stitches from Murray the Speed-Freak's head in the trailer we used as a headquarters. Now that's an interesting experience, cooling out a speed-freak while you wander around his face with a pair of scissors. I got the job because I had done medical stuff before and had some training and because Murray trusted me as much as he trusted anyone. The operation was a success and the patient lived long enough for me to lose touch with him, of course with a speed-freak that can be a matter of minutes.

Rob Boyter

Collapse -
BTW, 'Faces of Domestic Violence'
by drpruner / March 6, 2005 1:23 PM PST

wall collage at a nearby small-town NM hospital. These from your post could apply:

"Note how little time it takes to do so much damage"
"it leaves people ravaged from it's effects."
"I had no idea how badly!"
And:
"Maybe these pictures will stop someone from [being abused] that first time." (The hospital hopes so.)

I was shocked, and I'm a tough guy. [not]

So: Do it to ourselves or do it to others- not a great "credit to our [human] race," are we?
Regards, Doug in New Mexico

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Another good thoughtful post Doug. What's itdoingHERE?
by Ziks511 / March 6, 2005 7:32 PM PST
Collapse -
Not sure; just the idea of pix
by drpruner / March 7, 2005 5:02 AM PST

of meth users >> pix of DV victims; same bad stuff for same good reason: prevention. Maybe both will help; who knows?

Epidemic of both BTW.

Collapse -
I still wonder.
by Henry Zack / March 6, 2005 4:01 PM PST

I still question what the difference between methamphetamine and amphetamine is. And also why crack is less expensive than cocaine in spite of being more concentrated.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.