General discussion

F/W Update 2.08 Thread

I got a BDP1600 back in October and have been doing fine, F/W updates and all.
However, yesterday I got the new Chipmunks movie for my daughter and it wouldn't get past the 20th Century Fox logo.

On reboot of the player, it prompted to install a f/w update -- thought maybe this would fix the issue. Clicked Yes, it got to about 12% then shut off.

Turned back on and was prompted again. This time, made sure no disc in player, and clicked Yes. Took very long time over Internet, but finally completed and shut off. Turned back on, and all of my settings were wiped out -- had to re-select everything from Time Zone to TV Type (16x9 Widescreen), etc. Even had to re-accept the EULAs for Netflix, Pandora, etc.

After all that, rebooted player again and inserted disc. Same problem. Settings does show that I'm on the latest f/w -- any ideas? Do I need to wait for yet another f/w? Haven't had time (chasing a 2-yr old) to try other blu-rays, but I know my wife has watched at least one DVD in it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. TIA.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: F/W Update 2.08 Thread
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: F/W Update 2.08 Thread
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
F/W Update 2.08 Thread

dlh218,

Sorry to hear that you're having this issue. I'm not aware of the Chipmunks Movie being a title that's not working.

Is this with the DVD, or the Blu-Ray disc? I can see if we can get the title and test it, but at this point, it could be a disc issue, a DRM incompatibility, or a service issue. It's difficult to determine.

--HDTech

- Collapse -
Re: Chipmunks 2

this is the bluray. dvd that came with is fine. would be great if you could test it out.

- Collapse -
Re: Chipmunks 2

dlh218,

I'll see if our test center can order that. Again, I apologize for the inconvenience, but I'll see if we can get this addressed.

Has anyone else tried this disc?

--HDTech

- Collapse -
I think the 2.08 firmware update turned my 1600 into a BRICK

Can anyone help? I installed 2.08 via wireless download and it went through everything and turned off on its own(like it should deo). But when I turned it back on, it got stuck on "LOAD" and the blue cloudy picture. Anyone have a fix?

- Collapse -
Firmware 2.08 Problem for Samsung Tech.

Mr. Samsung Tech,
Please read my message abaove, can my player be fixed?

- Collapse -
Firmware 2.08 Problem for Samsung Tech.

Coach_David,

It would have to be sent in if the FF>> reset doesn't reload the software. If it's due to a firmware update, then the repair may be taken care of, but that would be negotiated with customer service.

--HDTech

- Collapse -
any news?

Any news on this disc? It still seems to be the only one we can't play -- have rented many from Netflix, and had no problems. Would love to see it just be a simple f/w upgrade in order to play.
Thanks.

- Collapse -
(NT) Chipmunks squeakquel blu-ray
- Collapse -
any news?

bump ... it's been a few weeks since originally reported on here, just wondering if there's been any progress made on getting a test copy?

Other BD discs are working fine -- get a couple a week from Netflix, no issues yet.

Thanks.

- Collapse -
any news?

dlh218,

I apologize for the delay - we had other titles in the queue.

The Blu-Ray had no issue on our BD-P1600 model. Our test center tested it using the two latest firmware versions, so we were able to get it to work with either version.

Additionally, I tested it on the BD-P3600, and the BD-C6900 (Blu-Ray and DVD) just to see if any other models had the issue. I didn't see a problem with any of them.

Now, what I would recommend, if you're sure that the disc is in good condition, is to try to push the FF>>| button the remote when the menu appears. It's almost as if it's not getting past the previews (there are six of them).

If that doesn't work, I might suggest that you have your unit serviced by calling 800-SAMSUNG.

I'm sorry it's not working for you, but I can't replicate this issue.

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

- Collapse -
Chipmunks Squeakquel Problem

I have the same exact problem. I just received the movie from Walmart.com and it won't get past the 20th Century Fox logo. I have a Pioneer BDP-120 with the most current firmware. There have been no issues with any of the other movies I own. I believe I will try and exchange the movie for a new one because it is probably just a defective disc.

CNET Forums