Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Help forum

General discussion

F-disk nightmare

by kurbchecker / January 10, 2007 1:05 PM PST

please help me i had windows XP on my computer and i encountered a problem so i F-disk my computer. I know wrong thing to do but I was at my the end of my rope. now iam trying to reinstall xp on it and an error message saying missing NTDLR file. i dont know what to do it wont let me install windows 98 or 2000 nothing. can someone walk me through the steps on fixing my computer its been almost 2 months since my computer worked. please fhelp anyone

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: F-disk nightmare
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: F-disk nightmare
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
FDISK
by PKsteven / January 10, 2007 2:34 PM PST
In reply to: F-disk nightmare

First of all,how did you Fdisk using XP? You must have used an old floppy with Fdisk , the MSDOS. Did you know XP will do a fresh install on it's own? It's NTFS not FAT so DOS doesn't work very well with it. This is a simple description but it's to the point. Either way, now you have to go through these steps if I can remember off hand exactly how it goes...

Go back into Fdisk, yes for large support, delete any partitions completely, you may have to delete the non-fat partitions if residule ntfs is on it. Make sure all primary partitions are gone. Now, restart, go back into Fdisk, large support yes, create a primary partition using full space. Once created, exit out, restart, with floppy still in, don't go to FDISK go to command prompt,the A: and type this... format C: <notice the space between format and the C: and then hit enter, you should then be taken through the two processes, one verifying, one formatting. Once formatted, restart but "without" the floppy. Make sure you hit "Del" key to enter Cmos setup and set the pc to boot from CD, set all to boot from CD if need be, won't hurt anything. Then save , usually by hitting F10 and exit out. Make sure your XP CD is in the drive when you restart and you should be shown a text saying hit any key to boot from CD and when you get to installing Windows, make sure you delete the partition and format in NTFS format, it will take you through the steps. I have run into your situation too often where MSDOS FDISK is used to get rid of XP, a mess for sure. If it won't work , post back or if you get confused.

Paul

Collapse -
fdisk
by kurbchecker / January 17, 2007 12:42 PM PST
In reply to: FDISK

ok i cant get my hands on a windows xp disk but i got a windows ME CD so could i use that i did all the steps you told me to do up to when i had to put the windows xp CD in.instead I put a windows ME CD in but now it says error fault outside DOS extender. and it wont let me go any further. please help me. i can always upgrade later to xp when i get a disk i just want any operating system on it PLEASE HELP.

Collapse -
A whole can o' worms..
by PKsteven / January 17, 2007 2:16 PM PST
In reply to: fdisk

There is more going on than simply installing now. The error in my opinion is the A20 handlers, bios is too old, your disk could be damaged and not inserting the correct files.
What format is your drive currently in? I would assume Fat32 since you have no XP disk?

Before jumping to conclusions>

Also when setting up ME, leave the floppy in drive and boot from it. Only go to command prompt A:\ , now, put your WinME disk in the drive. In the command line TYPE R:\ then enter, it should switch to the R: not A: R:<which is typically a recognized CD\DVD drive from DOS, it may be another letter so try S: etc...Now once in the "R" prompt, type >Setup.exe or runsetup.exe or CDsetup.exe , It varies what works but mainly one will kick in. You should then be able to get the CD to work. If you are booting from the ME disk, it is likely it's not configuring right. If this won't work, you may have deeper trouble and it will take some looking into.

Paul

Collapse -
Looking into...
by PKsteven / January 18, 2007 1:58 AM PST
In reply to: A whole can o' worms..

As I stated, if my last suggestion doesn't work, it would need more looking into and well, Toni has covered pretty much what I was looking into on that, lol. So follow her good advice from here and maybe you can get your system up and running.

Paul

Collapse -
Dos Extender error
by TONI H / January 17, 2007 10:36 PM PST

Fault in MS-DOS Extender - http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q87/2/39.asp
The document goes on to explain several conditions that may cause the error.

Bad Fault in MS-DOS Extender

This error message occurs when the fault handler dispatcher in DOSX.EXE generates another cascaded fault while trying to handle a protected-mode exception. This error is usually caused by one of the following factors:

HIMEM.SYS is unable to control the A20 line.

DOS=HIGH is not functioning properly (related to HIMEM.SYS control).

The RAM, static RAM (SRAM), single in-line memory module (SIMM), or dynamic RAM (DRAM) chips are not functioning properly.

You are running DR DOS.

The third-party memory manager is not configured correctly.

The EMM386.EXE NOEMS x=A000-EFFF line is missing from the Config.sys file.

You have an old, out-of-date ROM BIOS.

Your CMOS settings are incorrect.

Your Windows files are old or corrupted. To test this, create a new directory on the hard drive, and install Windows in that directory.

Your disks are corrupted.

Your system is infected with the Form, Forms, Noint, or Yankee Doodle virus.

You may have a simple line left out in your Autoexec.bat file or your Config.sys file loading Himem.Sys or a "Form Virus" acting on your BIOS.

Check out all of the suggestions in the above mentioned document

I have received that error on FAT32 systems in the past and it was almost always nailed down to a bad bootdisk that wrote incorrect information to the config.sys or autoexec.bat files it created so.....

I would suggest the following:

Download delpart.exe from http://www.bootdisks.com and put it on your floppy disk that you use to boot with (recommend that you also download the new ME bootdisk from the same place instead of using your current one in case you don't have the new FDISK.EXE file on that one that can see larger drives correctly). (I actually keep delpart.exe on its own separate floppy disk but it's small enough to put on the bootdisk so you're choice)

Once you have the bootdisk created, boot up with it, and when you get to the A: prompt, type delpart.exe and press Enter. Now delete all partitioning that shows up. DO NOT REBOOT THE COMPUTER ONCE YOU ARE FINISHED.

Now...when the program finishes, exit out and go back to the A: prompt, type FDISK and press Enter. Say yes to Large Harddisk window. Create a new Primary Dos Partition, using the whole drive and activate it at the same time when asked.

Exit out of FDISK, reboot with the bootdisk still in the drive, choose to boot with cdrom support, and at the A: prompt, type

FORMAT C: (do NOT include the /S switch because it doesn't work with ME)

Once the format is complete, at the A: prompt, type R: and press Enter. This will take you to the temporary cdrom drive letter, put your ME cd into the drive, and type SETUP and press Enter. The install should start.

Make sure you have the Product Code/Key required by Windows or the install won't finish.

TONI

Collapse -
Fresh start
by Willy / January 17, 2007 11:22 PM PST

Use a pgm. called "KillDisk" it will wipeout everything and allow you to start afresh. You MUST have a full version of the OS you want to install or the upgrade version, PLUS access to an older OS version in order to use the upgrade version. If you can do all that, proceed:

Goto: http://www.killdisk.com/ get the floppy or .ISO version(burn to CD) becomes bootable. Depending on which version, in the bios make sure you can boot from that device *first*, then boot-up and follow prompts. Once, it's complete then reboot using the OS version you have. Do the install as prompted. If you have other problems, post. But, it certainly seems you're jumping all over the place and not as it should be, so don't rush things. It simply be better to have the XP OS install CD and just run it w/o all the other hassles. If you're using some non-genuine OS install, that maybe the start of your problems(guessing here). Sad

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!