Computer Help forum

General discussion

Ezula

by HelenP / February 24, 2005 11:21 AM PST

I can't remove this spyware. I'm running Command ISSX and Ad-Aware SE. Command is picking it up and I'm trying to delete it with no success. Will it have to be done manually?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ezula
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ezula
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Removal instructions from
by roddy32 / February 24, 2005 11:38 AM PST
In reply to: Ezula

Symantec/Norton. Make sure that you follow the proper instructions for whatever your operating system is. Once you remove the offending program from add/remove your virus scanner should be able to remove whatever else is left. There ARE variations for this though so if there are no programs in add/remove named "Top Text" you might have a variant. BTW, This particular adware is usual aquired via Kaaza, etc.
http://sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/adware.ezula.html

Collapse -
Removal instructions
by HelenP / March 20, 2005 11:01 PM PST

I'm sorry I didn't give you any feedback earlier.I did try your way and the procedure Coryphaeus suggests with no success.

I'll try anything but please bear in mind I'm no computer whizz kid.

Collapse -
Try thnis too. . .
by Coryphaeus / February 24, 2005 11:39 AM PST
Collapse -
Try this too
by HelenP / March 20, 2005 11:03 PM PST
In reply to: Try thnis too. . .

Thank you for your suggestion. I did try it but the search revealed no stub.exe or ezstub.exe files.

As I have said I'll try anything within my limited computer capabilities.

Collapse -
Tried again
by HelenP / March 20, 2005 11:14 PM PST

I went right back to the beginning.

I definitely don't have TopText in my programs so I can't remove it.

I have now found the following files on my system:

Inkstub.exe (25KB) C:\Windows\system32

wmpstub.exe (76KB) C:\Windows\system32

ppupdstub.exe (68KB) C:\ProgramFiles\CommonFiles\PestPatrol

Does this make sense to anyone?

Collapse -
Don't delete those
by Edward ODaniel / March 21, 2005 2:20 AM PST
In reply to: Tried again

and if you can't find the files referenced but still get the alert by ONE PROGRAM I would suggest, as have others, that you download, place in its own directory, check for updates then RUN HijackThis to see what it finds.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!