Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

Eye TV Tuner will not operate

by jmbklj / July 3, 2009 2:39 AM PDT

I'm new to Mac. Two weeks ago I bought a new iMac (24" 2.66 Ghz Mac OS X 10.5.7) at the Apple store along with the Elgato Eye TV Hybrid tuner. I use the TV function every day, but today it shut off and will not work. I received an error message telling me that Eye TV will not work in a 1.1 USB port and that I should plug the TV tuner in a 2.0 USB port. It's my understanding that all the iMac ports are 2.0.

I tried calling Apple Care Support but they are closed for the 3 day holiday. : (

Any idea what the problem is or what I can do to get this to work? I am using the cables that came with they Eye TV tuner. I've restarted the iMac a couple times and the same thing happens.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Eye TV Tuner will not operate
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Eye TV Tuner will not operate
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
USB 2.0
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 3, 2009 3:27 AM PDT

Yes, you are correct. All USB ports on new Macs are USB 2.0 with the exception of the one on the keyboard, which is still, I believe, USB 1.0

Is your device plugged into a USB hub or is it plugged directly into the back of the Mac?

Is the device seen in the System Profiler? Kinda like the Device Manager on Windows. Under the Apple at the top left of the screen. Choose About this Mac and then choose More Info from the next window.
Check under USB to see if you see the device and that the bus is described as Hi-Speed.

If not, try this. Shut down the Mac. Remove ALL the cables from the back of the thing. Power, USB, Ethernet, Firewire.
Leave the thing for 15 minutes.
Plug the keyboard and mouse in, then the Power cord and fire it up.
See if you Eye TV functions now.

Let us know

P

Collapse -
Eye TV tuner 2.0 USB
by jmbklj / July 3, 2009 3:40 AM PDT
In reply to: USB 2.0

The Eye TV tuner is plugged into the back of the iMac. Below is what is shown on my system by viewing About Mac, More Info....

USB Bus:

Host Controller Location: Built In USB
Host Controller Driver: AppleUSBOHCI
PCI Device ID: 0x0aa5
PCI Revision ID: 0x00b1
PCI Vendor ID: 0x10de
Bus Number: 0x04

EyeTV Hybrid:

Product ID: 0x0024
Vendor ID: 0x0fd9
Version: 1.00
Serial Number: 081104008453
Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec
Manufacturer: Elgato
Location ID: 0x04300000
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 500

IR Receiver:

Product ID: 0x8242
Vendor ID: 0x05ac (Apple Inc.)
Version: 0.16
Speed: Up to 1.5 Mb/sec
Manufacturer: Apple Computer, Inc.
Location ID: 0x04500000
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 100

I tried unplugging the tv tuner several times, trying different ports on the back of the Mac. The Live TV function sometimes works for 5 minutes and then I get the error message or it won't work at all and I immediately get the message. I haven't tried unplugging everything yet, Will try that next.

Collapse -
iMac 2.0 USB port
by jmbklj / July 3, 2009 4:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Eye TV tuner 2.0 USB

Well, I shut down the computer and unplugged everything, waited 20 minutes, plugged it all back in and turned it on. So far, so good - it's working! It's been working about 15 minutes now.

Thank you!

Collapse -
(NT) You're welcome
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 3, 2009 12:59 PM PDT
In reply to: iMac 2.0 USB port
Collapse -
Back to not working-recognizing the 2.0 USB port
by jmbklj / July 11, 2009 1:24 AM PDT
In reply to: You're welcome

I went out of town for a week on a business trip......shut down my new iMac, and when I came home, I found out I'm back to the same problem. I called Apple Support and they told me they can't help me with this problem even tho I bought this TV tuner at the same time I bought my new iMac last month at the Apple store.

I uninstalled & reinstalled the software & made sure I have all the software updates.

I found 5 possible solutions for this problem on the Elgato support web gased and so far, I've tried 4 of the 5 fixes with no success. The 5th one sounds technical to me, telling me to reset the PRAM. I don't understand what that entails, so I thought I might run it by the Apple Support people before doing so.

On my previous Media Center PC I used the TV function every day. One reason why I recently bought a Mac is because I was led to believe I would not have problems with it. Unfortunately, in just my 1st month of ownership, I've had nothing but problems with this.

Collapse -
Elgato
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 11, 2009 2:51 AM PDT

Strictly speaking, you are having a problem with the Elgato device and not with the iMac. This is why the Apple support people told you that they cannot/will not help you.

Resetting the PRAM is no big deal. Follow the instructions below and you are ready to go. I assume that you tried the technique that you went through earlier in this thread?

Resetting PRAM and NVRAM
Shut down the computer.
Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
Turn on the computer.
Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
Release the keys.

P

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!