Computer Help forum

General discussion

Eye strain

by J4art / January 14, 2009 11:10 PM PST

Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask about this problem, except for the fact that others here may experience the same thing.
After a short time watching the monitor, whether reading or playing a game, my eyes tear up and sting. Is there any way, to alleviate this, such as different settings for the monitor or screen covers? I know about drops for dry eyes.

Thanks, Jo

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Eye strain
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Eye strain
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sometimes
by Jimmy Greystone / January 15, 2009 12:44 AM PST
In reply to: Eye strain

Sometimes a lower resolution will help, or a higher refresh rate if using a CRT monitor. Otherwise, this can often be a sign you need glasses, or maybe a new prescription for your glasses.

Collapse -
Thank you
by J4art / January 15, 2009 5:06 AM PST
In reply to: Sometimes

Thanks, Jimmy, for a quick response, I will try your suggestions.

Jo

Collapse -
If this is happening
by xxmuppetxx / January 15, 2009 2:05 AM PST

go and see your eye person (can't spell the technical word for it) also I've read domewhere that every 3 hours your meant to have a 30 minute break...another thing is to make sure that the height of the monitor screen and your eryes are the same level..so maybe having a chair you can raise or lower would be a good idea...
You can also try changing the resolution like you've said and have a twidle with the knobs on the monitor to see if that helps you...

Collapse -
Thanks
by J4art / January 15, 2009 5:09 AM PST
In reply to: If this is happening

Hi, thanks for your advice. This is actually happening to my sister and she has just got new glasses. So I will relay the advice about changing the resolution.

Jo

Collapse -
No worries
by xxmuppetxx / January 15, 2009 5:47 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

I just hope it works out ok for you...

Collapse -
With new glasses I would ...
by Edward ODaniel / January 15, 2009 7:35 AM PST

suggest that she go back to the optometrist and explain what is happening.

Depending on the prescription it is entirely possible that she needs a different prescription just for computer use as the normal eye-screen distance is different than eye-book focus.

Collapse -
Thanks
by J4art / January 16, 2009 12:17 AM PST

I will let her know this advice.Jo

Collapse -
Glasses?
by mwooge / January 19, 2009 1:13 AM PST

It sometimes takes a while to adjust to new glasses.

But I suspec that if she has regular, single-focus glasses they're for medium and distant viewing, not close work. She can try reading glasses, bifocals, or not using glasses for the computer.

Does she also have this problem with reading? Can she read better with or without glasses?

Collapse -
Eye Person
by FrankQC / January 16, 2009 12:30 PM PST
In reply to: If this is happening

Optometrist Silly

Collapse -
J4, I got Glasses
by Ol Rod / January 15, 2009 7:49 AM PST

I got a separate pair of glasses, single vision (not Bifocals) just for computer. Helps me! My eye Doctor also says I need to get Cataracts "fixed". I'm over 70, so that may not apply in your case. You might also experiment raise or lower your monitor. I put some blocks of wood under mine to raise it;)

Collapse -
Thank you
by J4art / January 16, 2009 12:19 AM PST
In reply to: J4, I got Glasses

Hi,

I have to have my monitor at just the right angle too- I have to be able to look sightly down for my NECK"S sake. ;~)
I will send on your advice to my sister.

Jo

Collapse -
Computer Eye Strain - 10 Steps for Relief
by Carol~ Moderator / January 16, 2009 1:08 AM PST

1. Get a computer eye exam.
2. Use proper lighting.
3. Minimize glare.
4. Upgrade your display.
5. Adjust the brightness and contrast of your computer screen.
6. Blink more often.
7. Exercise your eyes.
8. Take frequent breaks.
9. Modify your workstation.
10. Consider computer eyewear.

All of which is explained here:

http://www.allaboutvision.com/cvs/irritated.htm

Much of it has been suggested already, but you may find a couple which haven't.

Carol

Collapse -
Thanks
by J4art / January 16, 2009 4:46 AM PST

Hi Carol, Thanks to you and others, this problem should be solved soon.

Jo

Collapse -
(NT) You're welcome, Jo. Best of luck to your sister!
by Carol~ Moderator / January 16, 2009 6:13 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.