General discussion

Extremely slow startup

The system:
Pentium 4 3.2 gig
3 gig Ram
avg antivirus, Zone Alarm Pro, Diskeeper 2007 (cuurently running manually, not auto)

Problem:
Startup:
BIOS
wIN xp STARTUP Splash screen
computer then goes to black for 70-90 seconds, C: drive flashes continually
Windows Welcome and .wav - 30 seconds
Desktop icons rendering - 30 seconds

I uninstalled 2007 Diskeeper, rebooted and that was not cause, so reinstalled.

I went through Startup using TUT (Ultimate Troubleshooter) and eliminated a number of unnecessary programs in startup.

I mostly concerned about the 70-90 second black time.
Any ideas??? Thanks!

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Extremely slow startup
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Extremely slow startup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Some options

Look at your Event Viewer, (Start > Run, type in eventvwr.msc click OK), and check the times for loading of all events under System. There may be some for Applications as well, but not before Windows loads.

Is there any significant time delay in any events initialising?

Also, check your System Configuration Editor, (Start > Run, type in msconfig and click OK), then the Startup tab. An excessive amount of startups may slow the system down.

Then check your Task Manager, (right click the Taskbar, select Task Manager), then the Processes tab. See how many processes are running in the background. All systems are different and there is no right number, but for example my system is not too different and I have 35 processes.

Google will help you identify anything you don't recognize.

Mark

- Collapse -
Roxio Easy CD 6 MIGHT BE A PROBLEM

I found this artcle at Microsoft when I Googled one of the event errors:
SYMPTOMS
When you restart your computer after you install Roxio Easy CD Creator 5.0 Platinum, the computer may stop responding. The computer may display a black screen after the power-on self test (POST) runs.
Back to the top

CAUSE
This problem occurs because of device conflicts with the CD-ROM driver.
Back to the top

Note the "black screen". Sounds like my problem although I had Easy CD6. I uninstalled the program. I have Nero, anyways. Now I need to check the other errors.
Thank you.

- Collapse -
Interesting.

I wouldn't have thought that Roxio would load up that quickly, although I know others often report trouble with Roxio.

Good find, and good luck with the other errors.

Mark

CNET Forums

Forum Info