HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

Rant

Extremely frustrated with my laptop!

by smithy___ / May 18, 2013 12:39 AM PDT

Hi all!

Firstly sorry if this is in the wrong section of the forum, 1st post here although I have used others threads for advice before.

I have a Sony Vaio VPCYB3V1E laptop and recently it has been an absolute nightmare. Infrequent random freezes on almost every single application, leaving me unable to use the internet for more than 10/15 minutes max.

I have cleaned adware with superantispyware and tried to clean the registry with ccleaner but that freezes part way through the scan.

In the end i decided it might be best to just format the hard drive but have been unable to do so as the system backup also freezes up before it finished and I don't want to lose everything if I can help it!

I've done a HiJack This log but the file won't save in notepad even so my only option is to post it as screen caps which I'll do now below this post.

Any help with this would be massively appreciated as I'm losing my rag with it more and more every day, currently considering throwing it out of the window!

Thanks in advance!

Smithy___

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Extremely frustrated with my laptop!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Extremely frustrated with my laptop!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Several things to do
by wpgwpg / May 18, 2013 12:46 AM PDT

First get hold of a bootable CD with something like Ubuntu or UBCD, boot from it, and save any data you don't want to lose to an external hard drive or flash drive. You didn't say what version of Windows you have, so I'll assume Windows 7 or 8. Boot from a repair disc and do a repair to see if that helps. If not, it's time to restore to factory settings. If you didn't create the restore discs as instructed in your user guide, contact Sony and see if they'll send them to you for a small fee.
`
Good luck.

Collapse -
wpgwpg
by smithy___ / May 18, 2013 12:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Several things to do

Thanks for the response.

The problem I've got is that the Vaio I have doesn't have a disc drive, OS was pre-installed upon purchase so I don't have any hard copies or backup CD's. I was thinking I might be able to resolve the issues by manually deleting anything dodgy from the registry but I'm just worried about deleting anything important as this kind of thing goes a little beyond my knowledge range?

Collapse -
Re: disc drive
by Kees_B Forum moderator / May 18, 2013 1:03 AM PDT
In reply to: wpgwpg

If you would have a reinstall disk (but you don't, it seems) you could use that from an external drive. That's the standard way of doing it with netbooks and other PC's/laptops without a drive built-in.

Without that disk, you're limited to using the built-in recovery partition on the hard disk. How to do that should be in the user manual. But since that fails if the hard disk fails, it's common that there is an option somewhere to make those reinstall disks yourself from that recovery partition. But it might already be too late for that.

Kees

Collapse -
Oops
by smithy___ / May 18, 2013 12:47 AM PDT

Ah, it appears I don't know how to post the screencaps if anyone could advise on that too? Also forgot to mention I'm on Windows 7

Collapse -
Re: screencaps
by Kees_B Forum moderator / May 18, 2013 12:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Oops

You can't post pics on the forum, but I think they wouldn't be of much help, because I doubt if it's caused by malware. It could very well be some hardware issue.

So see if you can make that backup to an external hard disk or USB-stick from Ubuntu or from Windows in Safe Mode (and then copy it to another PC because you won't have a backup any more as soon you formatted the hard disk). If that fails also, it's time to carefully take the hard disk out of this laptop, put it in an external enclosure and use that to copy the contents to somewhere else.
Then you can try that reinstall, but with failing hardware it's unsure if that will succeed. If not, it's time for repair.

Kees

Collapse -
Kees
by smithy___ / May 18, 2013 1:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: screencaps

Thanks guys

I'll get onto ubuntu now and let you know how I get on with that Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.