PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Extra memory for hard drive question

Win XP service pack 2
Compaq Presario SR1300NX
Processor: AMD Sempron 2000 MHz
RAM - 512 MB (2x256 DDR-SDRAM)
60 GB Hard Drive

Lots of new computers are coming up with 1 GB RAM; do I need to upgrade mine to keep it current for the next few years?

Secondly, I need to know if I need to upgrade my processor. I don't know how to do it, like does it have an obvious place inside the computer?

Third, I want to add another internal hard drive, of at least 300 GB.
What is the best hard drive for me to get? We do have an expansion slot for extra hard drive memory.

I would think if I do these three things, I should be set for a bit.

Any and all help is appreciated.
Katie

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Extra memory for hard drive question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Extra memory for hard drive question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That's a value, ready to use "box."

In reply to: Extra memory for hard drive question

It's a poor choice for someone that wants to upgrade. The initial CPU is a value item, I wonder what the video is as well.

Most likely just fine for internet, DVD play, sound and more but upgraders and gamers should not look at such a box.

-> What many run into on these is not only the CPU needs replacing but the POWER SUPPLY since it was sized for the machine's value postition.

Bob

Collapse -
Further clarification needed

In reply to: That's a value, ready to use "box."

Bob

I am a writer and make extensive use of my hard drive for storing manuscripts and craft related information.

I'm wanting to make sure I won't need to upgrade anything now that would help me in the future.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you are saying it would be better to buy a new CPU than upgrade mine?

Katie

Collapse -
Writing shouldn't need more CPU.

In reply to: Further clarification needed

RAM can be EASY. Try crucial.com

As to the hard disk, the supplied unit should fair well by any writer I know. You can add a 250 to 1000GB USB drive from 99 to many dollars and sidestep all the power supply issues. But whatever you do, consider backup to something other than a hard disk.

Remember that my definition of the CPU is this -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_processing_unit (see microprocessor.) But today some will call "the box" a CPU.

If gaming is not the goal here, 512MB will run Word or such just fine.

Bob

Collapse -
a writer's life

In reply to: Further clarification needed

All hard drives will fail at some point in time. Hard drives should be viewed as temporary storage and not backup.

If you haven't done so aready, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE backup your manuscripts and other writings by burning them to CD or DVD. I always pained me to see a writer/researcher come into the office with a dead hard drive and no good backup.

OK, lecture over Happy

Collapse -
I suggest...

In reply to: Extra memory for hard drive question

The problems with OEM systems(Dell, Compaq, etc.) are limited upgrade choices if allowed. You can across the board decide to upgrade the ram, video and cpu in that order(read rest for HD). The ram is usually the easy one. Look at your manual or visit Compaq support website for the "specs" of your system and see what each ram slot supports and thus the total ram possible. You have build-in video and usualy that depends on system ram and robs a portion in order to work, thus again more ram is a plus. Under an XP OS, 512mb is very good, but 1gb is best overall. Adding another HD can be done, but in OEM systems, your pushing your luck as the power supply can be stressed to supply stable juice to all the upgrades and a 2nd HD is a stress but it can be done, just keep that in mind, power issues. Seagate and WD make decent 300gb HDs and have IMHO did good warranty returns should they fail(yeah, it happens), Seagate is best with 5yrs. compared to WD, 1yr.. I don't consider Maxtor, Hitatchi, Samsung, or IBM HDs anymore unless orginal to system, just me.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
All right...

In reply to: I suggest...

Thanks for the info, Willy. Very helpful.

So am I understanding you to say that adding an additional hard drive to our internal expansion slot would be tricky because of power supply problems?

Sounds to me like you're saying I'm maxed out for my system (other than upgrading RAM to 1GB). Is that right?

Thanks, all, for your help.

Katie

Collapse -
No hard disk can be added! LINK!

In reply to: All right...

Collapse -
A bit more info...

In reply to: All right...

Provided you have the space to install a 2nd HD, here's what will happen after the install.

The HD will generate extra heat as its plain form of operation. The added HD will take whatever space and thus remove some "air circulation" as a result. The 2nd HD will wanted at least 20-25W of power to run. All this adds to the stress of the system as heat is a killer. I know this sounds drastic, but users always install a 2nd HD in many systems. The problem with OEM type systems you may need to shoehorn it in even though an extra spot is available, you system becomes stuffed, in general real terms. Compaq probably has instructions/help guide to help you install a 2nd HD or basic general info on how to do it, so again visit thier support website and hardcopy the info. If so some reason you find that your model# doesn't really mounting a 2nd int. HD, as Robert stated an ext. HD will fine on an USB port.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks - Katie

In reply to: A bit more info...

Collapse -
Thanks, guys

In reply to: I suggest...

Actually, I have a lot on my computer. I save articles that I've read (others I haven't), I have a lot of pictures for my web site AND several manuscripts in various forms of completion.

I routinely back-up all of my Word documents on a CD RW.

Katie

Collapse -
And all your backup fits on one CD ?

In reply to: Thanks, guys

If not ...might make sense to take advantage of a good DVD-DL burner. That would give you 4.7GB storage per single layer disc and 8.5GB for dual layer discs.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
hmmm

In reply to: And all your backup fits on one CD ?

Are you speaking of something other than the CD RW drive that I already have inside my computer?

All the stuff the really matters I can back up on a CD; however, I use MS Office 2003 extensively and have never figured out how to back that up.

Katie

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.