Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Extra large fonts in Internet Explorer

Ran into a problem on one system that is real strange.

Some of the fonts on a web site are huge, not all of them, just some of them.

For example, if I go to www.msn.com the fonts at the very top will be 40 point but most of the page will be normal sized. The major problem is that going to sites like a Bank result in all the fonts being huge (40+ point) so reading the info is almost impossible, but. I also connected to Outlook Exchange web access on a remote system and all the messages were in huge fonts.

I have tried

1. installing the latest updates to IE 6
2. I have checked the Appearance settings in Windows, they are normal and only IE has this problem.
3. Resetting all settings in IE back to Default settings (Tools/Internet Options)
4. Looked for Worms/Malware nothing found
5. Tried re-installing IE6 but that doesn't work because the updates installed make it newer than the current version.

View/Text Size doesn't change the huge fonts at all.

Anyone with a clue on this?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Extra large fonts in Internet Explorer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Extra large fonts in Internet Explorer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Extra large fonts in Internet Explorer

In reply to: Extra large fonts in Internet Explorer

Take a look at http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/IEFIX.htm but today, with all the malware going around and how nutty the damage to IE can be, I have tossed in the towel and install another browser and suggest they use it until some "big fix" arrives.

Best of luck,

Bob

Collapse -

1. If the address in the system registry pertaining to Style Sheets has become corrupted or is missing, some Web page may be poorly formatted (font sizes may be too small or mismatched, words may overlap, or colors may not be displayed as expected) and perhaps the Web site simply does not display, [Q183717].

2. I cannot decipher Web page sources but if somebody can, the anomaly could point to a change somewhere on the Web page that goes to ActiveX or DirectX or God knows -- something else.

Collapse -

Also, you can try:

- Internet Options, General Tab and click the Accessibility Button. Make sure that all the check boxes are unchecked.

- Create a new user and test the problem there.

On a collateral note, you can reinstall IE as per Method 2 instructions:

Q318378 - "How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP"

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
Re:Re:Extra large fonts in Internet Explorer

In reply to: Re:Extra large fonts in Internet Explorer

Thanks all for the replies.

I tried all the Accessibility options as well as a different user account.

Didn't find the Q318378 article to re-install, in the past I have done this by just running IE6setup, but now it won't install now since the current version of IE with critical updates is too new. Maybe changing the registry key will allow it.

I was hoping to avoid the re-install of the OS because of the time involved, it does take about an hour to do that repair install, by the time you do the critical updates after it is done, but it may work.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Extra large fonts in Internet Explorer

In reply to: Re:Re:Extra large fonts in Internet Explorer

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Extra large fonts in Internet Explorer

In reply to: Re:Re:Extra large fonts in Internet Explorer

Could be also an accessibility side effect. Open Control Panel, Accessibility Options, Display Tab. Uncheck the box: Use High Contrast.

The provided Q318378 was clickable. I'd repost it and add the underline.

Q318378 - "How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP"

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
Re:Extra large fonts in Internet Explorer-WAG

Could it be something as simple as holding down the Ctrl key and turning the scroll wheel on the mouse? I doubt it, but figger I'd toss that in here.

Collapse -
Re: Extra large fonts in Internet Explorer

I was having the same exact problem. I found this on another website & it worked for me. Try going up to the top of your screen and in the menu bar, click on "View". Then when it opens put your cursor on "Text Size". Now you can see your options to change the font size. This should work!!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.