General discussion

Extra audio speakers for a minimalist TV + HTPC system

I have recently installed a Samsung UE32C6510 ultra thin white-bezeled LED TV in my bedroom, connecting it to a new Mac Mini (as HTPC) and small infrared sensor to control the cable box in the closet. All the wires are hidden behind the wall, giving a very sleek and minimalist look. The TV is absolutely fantastic, can't recommend it highly enough, and the new Mac Mini is amazing. But I wouldn't mind upgrading the sound system - especially since if I want to play music from Itunes from the MacMini, either I must just listen to the mini's internal speakers or the TV must be on to use the TV speakers (not ideal!). I DON'T want a lot more gear, amps and big speakers everywhere, etc., but could hide one more gizmo in the closet behind the wall.

One option is a pair of small active speakers, but I haven't found any that would accept digital optical audio inputs (the only audio out the TV has), and many of these are too big for my purposes (and not white - must be white!). Soundbars are too long (TV is 32") and don't have inputs for the computer. I have found some speakers which seem to perfectly fit the small, minimalist bill - Orb Audio Mod1 - but these are passive and require an amplifier. Every amplifier I've seen that takes both USB inputs from the computer and digital optical input from the TV is very fancy, expensive, and clearly overkill for these little speakers and my general minimalist objectives.

I am very open to suggestions at this point! It would seem the combination of a TV and HTPC should be getting more and more common, so I'm surprised that I haven't been able to find any easy and affordable audio solutions for this setup. Thanks!!

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Extra audio speakers for a minimalist TV + HTPC system
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Extra audio speakers for a minimalist TV + HTPC system
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments

CNET Forums

Forum Info