Computer Help forum

General discussion

External Video Capture device not working

by etripp / February 15, 2007 2:43 AM PST

Hello,

I have an Adaptec 2200 external video capture device. It had been working flawlessly since I got it. Now I cannot get it to function. I am running Windows XP on emachine with AMD Semperon 3000. I have deleted the software, MYDVD by Sonic and related drivers and re installed them, with no effect. Adaptec's website is useless......

The only thing I can figure out is that their is now a conflict with another program. I downloaded a couple video "animator" programs, such as MonkeyJam and another one that used Java Script. The capture device stop working around the same time I started using the other programs. I also tried to get it to work with Microsoft's Movie Maker, which doesn't work. Appearantly this video capture deviece only works with Sonic' MYDVD....

Anyone with any advice would be appreciated...I would really like to get this thing working again

Thanks

Eddie

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: External Video Capture device not working
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: External Video Capture device not working
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It also is USB 2.0 only?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 15, 2007 2:49 AM PST

I wonder if it's in the device manager as well as what port is in use. No gritty details means I can't help much.

Bob

Collapse -
Not sure where the problem is
by etripp / February 15, 2007 4:59 AM PST

Thanks for your response....

The device is connected to a USB 2.0 port, when I check the device manager after reinstalling the MYDVD software and the drivers and the driver updates, it shows up in the device manager as working properly....but its not.....

The odd thing about it is that in the past when the video capture was not turned on, plugged into the port, no video signal, etc., a message box appeared stating such.......now it goes so far as pulling up the capture screen and window, however there is no image in the preview window and no sound....

I went to adaptec's site and found a FAQ answer to a similar situation, that's where I got the information about removing and reinstalling all software and drivers, as well as looking at the deviece manager and running Direct X diagnostics.....

Hope that gives you more information and that you could help me.....I am at the point of making copies of all my files and considering reformating the hard drive.....

Thanks

Eddie

Collapse -
A recent go round found...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 15, 2007 5:15 AM PST

The machine had 2 video cards. Onboard and some AGP card. I finally found that the BIOS had been reset and we needed to change the boot display from PCI to AGP or vice versa. Your post neglects the forum note. Feel free to voluntarily follow the forum note for best results in the forums.

Sorry but with the clues so far I'm just guessing.

Bob

Collapse -
What?
by etripp / February 15, 2007 10:24 PM PST

Sorry, I don't quite understand this reply. If I have violated some forum etiqute or rule, I'm sorry....let me know so I don't do it again in the future....

I don't think my computer has two video cards.......one is actually an external analog to digital video capture device....which is connected to a USB 2.0 port......I have not messed with the BIOS...did you mean to post this reply to my topic or someone elses?

Eddie

Collapse -
Good luck.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 15, 2007 10:57 PM PST
In reply to: What?

I offered some prior resolution in hopes that it could help you. But I seem to offended you so I'll leave you alone.

The forum etiquette or rules are simple. You tell what you can and people pitch in. If that offends you then people tend to walk away.

Bob

Collapse -
Lets unistall the animator program then...
by ahtoi / February 15, 2007 6:58 AM PST

reinstall the adaptec stuff and see what will result.

Collapse -
Already past that......
by etripp / February 15, 2007 10:33 PM PST

Hey there,

Thanks for your reply.

I have uninstalled the animation programs. I wonder though if these programs leave some fragment or command that is causing the problem.

When I checked out the device manager, I noticed under the heading "Sound, video and game controllers" serveal items that may not have been there before.....they are "Audio and Video Codecs" and "Legacy Video capture device" and "Legacy Audio Drivers". I tried to disable these but I cannot. Do you know even what they are?

Any other suggestions would be appreaciated.

Eddie

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?