Windows 7 forum

General discussion

External USB Ports

by flg40 / February 26, 2010 10:44 AM PST

I'm having an issue with couple of external USB ports which are connected to my system. Because I have my mouse and keyboard connected to an external USB port somehow I loose the connection and I can't use the mouse or keyboard, actually I need to turn off the system in order to have both USB ports back on line. I wonder if this is an issue with my system or a Windows 7 issue.
I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate with Intel Core 2 Quad Q6000@ 2400GHz 2.40 GHz
RAM: 4.00 GB (3.25GB usable) 32-bit Operating System.

I never had this issue before under Vista or XP as this system was running on both OS.

Frank

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: External USB Ports
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: External USB Ports
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
External?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2010 11:02 AM PST
In reply to: External USB Ports

Let's try this. Use the USB ports on the rear and the ones supplied by the motherboard. Those front ports and on USB cards could lead to aggravations.
Bob

Collapse -
External USB Ports
by flg40 / February 26, 2010 8:44 PM PST
In reply to: External?

Actually, my original message refered to external USB port, I wanted to say external USB Hubs. I have two hubs that are really connected to the rear of computer ports no the front ones.

So to answer your posting yes both external hubs are connected to the rear of computer motherboard ports.

Frank

Collapse -
Suggestion if I might
by Steven Haninger / February 26, 2010 10:45 PM PST
In reply to: External USB Ports

I'd never consider a USB hub as a good place to plug in a mouse and keyboard. These work best with the shortest path to the MB. I don't know how many ports you have available on your MB. You might check to see if you have an unused USB header on your motherboard and buy one of those adapters that uses a rear card slot. Otherwise, I'd go with a PCI-USB add in card rather than some hub. About the only thing I've found those hubs good for is occasional use with laptops.

Collapse -
External USB Hubs
by flg40 / February 26, 2010 11:17 PM PST
In reply to: External?

The problem I have that both the keyboard and mouse don't have long enough cables to reach the back of my computer. I have a built-in wall unit and the back of my computer is not close to both items.

I hope you have a better answer for me

Frank

Collapse -
Re: distance too long
by Kees Bakker / February 26, 2010 11:36 PM PST
In reply to: External USB Hubs

Try separate extension cords/cables in stead of a hub.

Kees

Collapse -
USB Issues
by flg40 / February 27, 2010 5:22 AM PST
In reply to: Re: distance too long

I just corrected it by installing an additional USB PCI Card with 4 additional USB ports and installed the mouse and Keyboard directly to the USB ports on motherboard, the issue suposedly is resolved. I'm almost confident now that I should not have the issue with mouse and keyboard. I did not have any more PCI slots so I removed the phone modem card which I don't use.
Thanks anyway
Frank

Collapse -
Ahh. I see the picture now.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2010 11:47 PM PST
In reply to: External USB Hubs

I too have that setup. It's only 98% reliable so for the one time a week I have to power cycle that hub. But I know that and for the setup I will try other hubs in the coming months.

If I use two extension cables it works fine. But I put up with it today as I am on a development treadmill and wanted the single USB solution.
Bob

Collapse -
USB Issues
by flg40 / February 27, 2010 7:30 AM PST

After installing the new USB PCI card I had an issue with a driver. Actually I forced a driver that was not supposed to be installed. I could not reboot the system at all so I had to remove the card and restored my system to prior the installation of the card.
Now I'm using USB extension cables and will eventually re-install the card with the right driver.

At least I'm up now.

Frank

Collapse -
Finding Drivers...
by CassandraF_WinTeam / March 2, 2010 3:13 AM PST
In reply to: USB Issues
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?