General discussion

External USB Ports

I'm having an issue with couple of external USB ports which are connected to my system. Because I have my mouse and keyboard connected to an external USB port somehow I loose the connection and I can't use the mouse or keyboard, actually I need to turn off the system in order to have both USB ports back on line. I wonder if this is an issue with my system or a Windows 7 issue.
I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate with Intel Core 2 Quad Q6000@ 2400GHz 2.40 GHz
RAM: 4.00 GB (3.25GB usable) 32-bit Operating System.

I never had this issue before under Vista or XP as this system was running on both OS.

Frank

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: External USB Ports
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: External USB Ports
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
External?

Let's try this. Use the USB ports on the rear and the ones supplied by the motherboard. Those front ports and on USB cards could lead to aggravations.
Bob

- Collapse -
External USB Ports

Actually, my original message refered to external USB port, I wanted to say external USB Hubs. I have two hubs that are really connected to the rear of computer ports no the front ones.

So to answer your posting yes both external hubs are connected to the rear of computer motherboard ports.

Frank

- Collapse -
Suggestion if I might

I'd never consider a USB hub as a good place to plug in a mouse and keyboard. These work best with the shortest path to the MB. I don't know how many ports you have available on your MB. You might check to see if you have an unused USB header on your motherboard and buy one of those adapters that uses a rear card slot. Otherwise, I'd go with a PCI-USB add in card rather than some hub. About the only thing I've found those hubs good for is occasional use with laptops.

- Collapse -
External USB Hubs

The problem I have that both the keyboard and mouse don't have long enough cables to reach the back of my computer. I have a built-in wall unit and the back of my computer is not close to both items.

I hope you have a better answer for me

Frank

- Collapse -
Re: distance too long

Try separate extension cords/cables in stead of a hub.

Kees

- Collapse -
USB Issues

I just corrected it by installing an additional USB PCI Card with 4 additional USB ports and installed the mouse and Keyboard directly to the USB ports on motherboard, the issue suposedly is resolved. I'm almost confident now that I should not have the issue with mouse and keyboard. I did not have any more PCI slots so I removed the phone modem card which I don't use.
Thanks anyway
Frank

- Collapse -
Ahh. I see the picture now.

I too have that setup. It's only 98% reliable so for the one time a week I have to power cycle that hub. But I know that and for the setup I will try other hubs in the coming months.

If I use two extension cables it works fine. But I put up with it today as I am on a development treadmill and wanted the single USB solution.
Bob

- Collapse -
USB Issues

After installing the new USB PCI card I had an issue with a driver. Actually I forced a driver that was not supposed to be installed. I could not reboot the system at all so I had to remove the card and restored my system to prior the installation of the card.
Now I'm using USB extension cables and will eventually re-install the card with the right driver.

At least I'm up now.

Frank

- Collapse -
Finding Drivers...

CNET Forums