Windows Vista forum

General discussion

External USB HDD Bizarre "Ghost" Files Phenomenon

by multiplexusa / February 6, 2010 5:59 AM PST

On External USB Hard Disk Drives connected to Windows Vista Business (SP2) public computers (Dell Studio E4500) new files being written to the drives disappear even after controlled drive-removal. Explorer falsely displays the files/directories being written, but when the drive is taken to another computer, NONE of the new files exist! When reconnected to the original computer the new files are shown, however if that PC is rebooted, the files are absolutely gone forever!

Its almost as if the files exist only as entries in RAM, but dont actually get written to the Ext. HDD. Or theyre being written to the drive, but the boot-record isnt updated with the filenames.

Whats more bizarre is that this only happens on Ext. HDD's that require a USB cable. It doesnt happen on Jump-Drives or SD Cards.

Is there some security setting on these public computers that is causing this ghost-phenomenon to occur, or is this a legitimate bug?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: External USB HDD Bizarre "Ghost" Files Phenomenon
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: External USB HDD Bizarre "Ghost" Files Phenomenon
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Strange.
by Kees Bakker / February 6, 2010 6:09 AM PST

Now tell:
1. What's a public computer and where does it differ (hardware, OS, settings) from a non-public computer?
2. Is some third-party software involved to make the PC public, or is this a standard Microsoft feature they didn't tell <i>me</i> about?
2. Only one or all?
3. Also non-Dell public computers?

From your post it seems hardware and OS are fairly standard. So I assume it's a (security) setting. Time to start experimenting, together with the system manager. Start with the OS out of the box (restore to factory settings). Then one by one apply all changes to change this from a private to a public computer, according to the organization's handbook and standards. One the changes should do the trick. Then you know it.

If everything is done and it's a fully certified public computer and everything is fine, the issue is solved. Then repeat on all other machines involved. But I suspect the feature will turn up somewhere during the experiment.

Best of luck and please let us know.

Kees

Collapse -
Ext.HDD Disappearing Files Phenomenon
by multiplexusa / February 6, 2010 6:36 AM PST
In reply to: Strange.

I dont know any technical difference between public and non-public. I only provided that additional info because it might be helpful to the reader analyzing the phenomenon. The PC's are for public use, thats all I know.

Yes, it occurs with all the same make-model public PC's. Ive already tried to write new files from another workstation and it does the same thing. Displays new files on IT but NOT any other. Therefore I can only make one assumption, that RAM on that very PC is falsely telling File Explorer that the files are there, but not in reality. Either that, or the writing is un-done on reboot. Another possibility is that the "Cable" External HDD uses outdated drivers not compatible with Vista Business. After all, I've had no problems on XP public PC's. But I dont want to assume too much here. I've taken an Ext.HDD with adapter compatible with XP, and also tried a brand new Seagate 160mb Ext. HDD formatted with NTFS, with the exact same result.

Whether theres Third-Party Security Software running is one of my unanswered questions I was hoping someone might know. I would like to eliminate this possibility if someone familiar with the latest software could shed some light on.

Therefore, I believe its one of three things:
1. Vista Business or 3rd Party Security Software is running a security setting against large disk devices, or;
2. Cable-Ext.-HDD device drivers are incompatible with Vista Business;
3. A Virus has infected all these systems.

Collapse -
Why not ask the system manager ...
by Kees Bakker / February 6, 2010 7:24 PM PST

of that public machines. He knows how he set them up. We don't.

- If the issue is new to him, he might be interested to research it. Afer all, it's a rather bad service to the users of the public computers he supplies access to.
- If it's an intended feature, he can tell you.
We can do neither of the 2 here.

Kees

Collapse -
What are you looking at?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 6, 2010 6:16 AM PST

All fun intended. EXPLORER can have many "views" and can hide files so as you move from machine to machine, files may show and go away from machine to machine.

This is where your skills at the command line come in handy. The basic DIR command is what I use. Try this one -> DIR /a/p

Hope this helps,
Bob

Collapse -
What are you looking at?
by multiplexusa / February 6, 2010 6:58 AM PST

Thank you for the suggestion. Yes, MSDOS is supposedly the truth teller, but not in this instance. The new file shows up on the DIR /a/p but not on other computers using DIR /a/p. So very probably, RAM is supplying the system with bogus info. or the other possibilities Ive mentioned. I havent found anything on Internet searches for this issue. I wouldnt know the exact search-words to use however.

I have to sign off for today. But I will check further replies by Monday. Thanks all.

Collapse -
If you could supply the names of the files.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 6, 2010 7:26 AM PST

It could reveal what's up.

Collapse -
File names, types irrelevant
by multiplexusa / February 15, 2010 10:45 AM PST

Its any files. Ive copied entire directories containing numerous common file types. Ive tried saving simple web pages in .mht . ITS GOT NOTHING TO DO WITH THAT. Its not some complex cause. Its a simple and generalized cause.

The bottom line you dont know any COMMON security settings, third party software, viruses, etc.

I will no longer entertain these types of analysise. If no one has answers within the scope of the previous paragraph, please dont bother replying. Thank you.

Collapse -
Good luck.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 15, 2010 10:49 AM PST

Hope you find your answers. My questions are to help sift through all the usual and find a good answer. To help you along I've unsubscribed.
Bob

Collapse -
External USB HDD Bizarre "Ghost" Files Phenomenon (nt)
by multiplexusa / February 22, 2010 8:39 AM PST

(just renewing original post)

Collapse -
External USB HDD Bizarre "Ghost" Files Phenomenon - (rp)
by multiplexusa / April 14, 2010 1:58 AM PDT

(just renewing original post)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?