General discussion

External USB HD problem

Hi,
Having an internal HD Segate Model ST310211A 10 GB from my old computer, I decided to use it as External Hd for my new Pc. I bought an enclousre for it and started to use it. It was working OK untill I accidenatally deleted some files in that Seagate external HD. Now Windows sees the device and it says that the new device is ready for use , but i cann't find it in mycoputer folder. In assence is doesn't show up in my coputer.

is there a way to find which files are missing and where to get that kind of files which are neded for the USB HD to be used by Windows as External HD.

Any help will be much appreciated,

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: External USB HD problem
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: External USB HD problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Too few details.

But try this. Connect it to the REAR USB PORT of the desktop.

Bob

- Collapse -
External USB HD problem

Thanks Bob,

At the bgining I was using front USB ports at which Windows wasn't detecting the new device been attached. But when I tried using the rear USB ports, now Windows finding it but it doesn't show up with other devices in my computer.

Info about the Sys:

Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600) Hewlett-Packard HP Workstation xw3100

3.00 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
8 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
BIOS: Hewlett-Packard 786B2 v2.43 08/10/2004
Drives Memory Modules c,d
160.03 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity Maxtor 6Y160P0 [Hard drive] (160.04 GB)
152.72 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

LITE-ON DVD SOHD-167T [CD-ROM drive]

- Collapse -
It's likely that...

The drive was supplied in the usual FAT32 format. By using the front ports on many machines the volume becomes damaged. By moving to the rear port that may solve the communication issues but the owner needs to look in DRIVE MANAGEMENT (click on Help or see google.com) to find the drive. If it's there we can remove the partition, create it anew then format it in NTFS for better damage resistance.

If there are files that need saving then we look at ZERO ASSUMPTION RECOVERY or GETDATABACK (see google.com)

Bob

- Collapse -
External USB HD problem

Thaks Bob for your valuable information. I tried usiung the information in your post to find the drive but i couldn't. The drive is not there and Widows now doesn't see the drive evethough it did before. I cann't figure out is it a hardware failure or a software failure.

- Collapse -
The subtle differences.

1. Windows does not see it.

This usually means Explorer doesn't show the drive letter.

2. Drive Management does not see it.

This is what we see with a hard failure. I try a new drive case.

Bob

- Collapse -
Definetely they are subtle

As long as Windows does see it through the rear USB, I think that excludes the sofware problem. Most likely the drive case is not functioning properly. I'll try to change it and see what is going to happen.

Thaks Bob you've been vey helpful,

CNET Forums

Forum Info