Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

External USB Drives - WinXP SP3

by lemaech56 / March 30, 2010 10:56 PM PDT

My desktop (Abit IP35 Pro MB, Core2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, WinXP Pro SP3) has two external USB drives: a) Seagate FreeAgent 500 GB; b) Maxtor oneTouch4 Plus 750 GB. Problem: On occasion after boot up either one or the other of these drives aren't visible in My Computer or in Disk Management. When either or both drives are visible, they function correctly, i.e., the contents are accessible. I'm stomped as to what the root cause of this problem could be. All OS patches and virus/malware software are up to date. Thanks for your support.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: External USB Drives - WinXP SP3
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: External USB Drives - WinXP SP3
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just ideas.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 30, 2010 11:15 PM PDT

1. Use the rear motherboard mounted USB ports. USB ports on the front or via those wire cables often have issues.

2. Look for the Intel's latest motherboard chipset driver package (at intel.com)

3. Consider the age of the machine. Power supplies get electrically noisy and we hope for a total failure since explaining this to customers is nothing short of a lesson in electronics when they just want it fixed but don't want to replace power supplies, motherboards, etc.

Good luck,
Bob

Collapse -
Re: Just ideas.
by lemaech56 / March 30, 2010 11:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Just ideas.

Bob wrote:
------
3. Consider the age of the machine. Power supplies get electrically noisy and we hope for a total failure since explaining this to customers is nothing short of a lesson in electronics when they just want it fixed but don't want to replace power supplies, motherboards, etc.
-----
My system was built with new parts and put into service in 6/2009. The PSU is an Antec Trio 650 watts, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be failing. Being in the computer business for 40+ years has allowed me to witness many puzzling failures that often were determined to be power supplies.

I shall follow all of your recommendations. Thanks as always for your exceptional advice.

Collapse -
Let's get a link to that motherboard chipset driver.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 31, 2010 12:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Just ideas.
Collapse -
Re: Let's get a link to that motherboard chipset driver
by lemaech56 / April 4, 2010 12:07 AM PDT

Bob,

I installed the Intel chipset driver Ver: 9.1.1.1025 dated 12/22/2009, rebooted, and all external USD hard drives were visible and accessible in My Computer. Since this state would occur prior to the chipset driver change on some reboots, I checked Install Status and Version values in registry key listed in driver install documentation, and they indicated "success" and "9.1.1.1025" respectively. Thanks, again for your exceptional advice. You are batting 100%. This buys me some time to plan and execute migration to Windows 7 Pro.

Collapse -
Let it be known
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 4, 2010 12:18 AM PDT

That even in Windows 7 I'm going driver hunting. If there is a problem with Windows this is it. Why do we expect today's owners to know about drivers? Look at the one I noted and you see that most won't find that.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.