Question

external monitor no longer sees the pc.

I have a HP Pavilion dv9933cl Notebook PC with Vista 64 bit. I connected my hp 1730 external monitor to the pc and it worked. I thought I got it to work with a press of FN f4. But one time when I turned on the PC it didn't work and hasn't since then.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: external monitor no longer sees the pc.
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: external monitor no longer sees the pc.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Does this monitor

work on other PCs?

Does this Notebook work with other external monitors?

You will need to do those elimination tests to see where the problem lies, either the monitor is broken, or the fault is with the computer.

Mark

- Collapse -
Monitor works

The external works on my HP mini. I don't have another external monitor to test the PC.
What keystrokes should I be using on the PC to talk to the monitor?

- Collapse -
If it worked before

but doesn't now, then the fear is this may be a problem with the video card.

Vista should automatically detect the 2nd monitor, but to use it, you would have to do this.

Goto the Control Panel, (from the Start menu), then find the Display icon and run that. In the new page, look in the left hand column for "Change display settings" and click that.

In the next new page that displays, if you can see 2 monitor images showing, marked as 1 and 2, then check that the other settings are OK.

If only #1 monitor is showing, then click the "Detect" button.

The settings that I have on my dual monitor setup are;

Display: Pull down menu shows the make and model # of the monitors

Resolution: Click the first image, 1, and this should show the Recommended resolution. Any 2nd monitor, 2, may be different.

Orientation: Normally Landscape.

Multiple displays: Pull down menu, normally "Extend these displays" is selected, but you have other choices.

If monitor 2 displays but still doesn't work, highlight monitor 2, then click "Advanced settings", then in the new window select the "Troubleshoot" tab. Click the button if it is not greyed out.

Let us know what you see, but be prepared for the worse.

Mark

- Collapse -
No "Display" Icon on Control Panel page.

Thank you Mark for the detailed advice, however, when I went into Control Panel there wasn't a Display Icon shown, so I went to Device Manager.
Under Monitors it shows two devices, both Generic PnP monitors.
When I unplug the external monitor it refreshes to one monitor.
It shows both monitors working properly when asked.
It is still possible I am just not giving it the correct keyboard instruction to connect to second monitor.
Please advice keyboard strokes.

- Collapse -
No Display icon?

That's strange, I thought all Windows OSes from Windows 95 up to Win 7 has it.

Try an alternative. Any empty space on your Desktop, right click and select Personalise. See if there is a link in the vertical column on the left for Display. If so, try that and continue with my suggestions above.

On my Win 7 when i click that link, I then get an option for ""Display Settings" in the next page.

Mark

- Collapse -
It's fixed - Thanks

THAT WORKED!!!!
The 2nd monitor was disabled.
I had to enable it three times before it took.
I really appreciate your help.
I have no idea how it got disabled, but now I know how to enable it.
Thanks again,
Don

- Collapse -
Well that's great news

Well done and I'm glad it's fixed for you.

Mark

CNET Forums