Laptops forum

General discussion

External Monitor - Need Help Please

by camiller000 / September 28, 2009 5:10 AM PDT

I have a working dell LCD monitor that I am trying to use externally with a newly configured Lenovo X300.

Using the setup in both Lenovo and XP I can't get the monitor to display. I have installed updated device drivers from Dell and Lenovo. The only thing that happens is that a message is sporadically displayed indicating "Analog Input Cannot Display Video in Current Mode".

Any thoughts on how to resolve this. The monitor works fin on another laptop I have. I have tried another moniotr with the problem laptop and have the same issue.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: External Monitor - Need Help Please
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: External Monitor - Need Help Please
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What is "a newly configured"?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 28, 2009 5:34 AM PDT

It's new, fails, so you call it in under warranty.

This discussion almost can't start. No make, model, what video settings. That is, no details.
Bob

Collapse -
RE: What is "a newly configured"?
by camiller000 / September 28, 2009 6:20 AM PDT

The lenovo X300 is 'newly configured' meaning I just put in a new HDD and reinstalled everything via the recovery discs. I have updated video drivers and monitor drivers.

The dell monitor is an 17" LCD. (not a widescreen). I believe the max resolution is 1280X1084. That is what it is set at and working with on another laptop I am able to use. It is about 4 years old, the make and model are not identifiable for some reason (this was a stock dell monitor they shipped with systems 4 years ago).

As I stated, the monitor works fine when used with another laptop (different model).

What else can I tell you? I thought these were pretty much plug and play? I guess not.

Collapse -
Change the video resolution ...
by Kees Bakker / September 28, 2009 6:28 AM PDT

of your video card (in Safe Mode) to one supported by the monitor.

There's no such thing as a "monitor driver". But some monitors have a "monitor.inf" file that tells Windows what they support. And Windows is smart enough then to only show those video modes in the desktop properties to let you choose those.

"Updated video and monitor drivers" leads to the "why" question.

Kees

Collapse -
follow-up
by camiller000 / September 28, 2009 6:48 AM PDT

Thanks for educating me on 'monitor drivers', If you go to monitor mfg site they allow you to DL drivers - I guess that it a misnomer.

You asked why I tried to update drivers - it was suggested that the drivers on the recovery CDs could be outdated, so that is why.

If I make the change you suggested, won't that also affect the onboard laptop monitor?

Thanks

Collapse -
(NT) Easy to change it back if it does. Just try.
by Kees Bakker / September 29, 2009 5:02 PM PDT
In reply to: follow-up
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.