Windows 7 forum

General discussion

External Monitor Goes To Sleep

I have been using an external monitor as my primary monitor (with laptop lid closed) for a couple of months now with Win 7. This normally works very well, but occasionally my laptop puts the external monitor to sleep when I right-click on the desktop. I can restart the external monitor by opening and closing the laptop lid, but the right-click issue persists even after a reboot. I can even go into windows explorer, drill down to the desktop folder, then right click inside windows explorer and this shuts off my monitor also. I have checked all of the display settings and everything looks normal. My laptop is an HP G60-535DX, my monitor is an Acer AL1917W and the resolution is set at 1400x900 for the external monitor (recommended setting). My normal laptop resolution is 1366x768 (recommended setting). Everything works fine until I right-click on the desktop. Any ideas on why a right-click puts my external monitor to sleep?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: External Monitor Goes To Sleep
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: External Monitor Goes To Sleep
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I would suspect1

In reply to: External Monitor Goes To Sleep

I would suspect the issue has to do with the two different display resolutions causing a syncing issue. Try running the external monitor at the same resolution as the laptop and see if the issue persists.

Collapse -
External Monitor Goes To Sleep

In reply to: I would suspect1

Interesting - everything started working again with no explicit changes made on my part. I have noticed that in the Appearance->Display->Screen Resolution screen that both displays are now listed - the laptop is showing as display "1" and the external monitor is display "2". Earlier when this was not working properly only the external monitor showed up as "1". I wonder if there is something going on with the Intel Graphics Media Driver that gets out of sorts... it has a bunch of hotkeys assigned for enabling these devices.

I did try the resolution change, my monitor is not 16:9 so the 1366x768 looks terrible. If this is the ultimate solution I will need to do something different here.

Collapse -
Just sharing

Just sharing that maybe 8-9 months ago I got a new 27" monitor with a 16:10 aspect ratio, and not too long after that, I got a fairly nice surround receiver to go with my HTPC setup.

Now at the time, I was planning on using my laptop, which has a very nice 17" 1920x1200 16:10 resolution. Incidentally, the same resolution as my 27" monitor. I ran into problems trying to connect everything through my receiver, which did upscaling to 1080p. No matter what I did, I couldn't get the nice 1920x1200 resolution going through my receiver reliably. I could make it work sporadically, but that was it. And since I needed the receiver for audio, I was kind of stuck. Obviously a 16:9 aspect ratio like 1080p looks awful on a 16:10 display.

Ultimately, I ended up finding a pretty good deal on a 32" 1080p TV, and have been pretty happy ever since. The 27" got retasked as a primary monitor for my desktop, and one of my older 20" 4:3 monitors became a secondary.

Moral of the story is: I fear you're fighting a losing battle here, so you might want to keep your eye out for a cheap monitor with a 16:9 aspect ratio.

Collapse -
resources

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.