Networking & Wireless forum

Question

external ip=no connection

by jimluis / May 24, 2014 2:14 PM PDT

Hi Everyone,

I am a very strange encounter.... I have a Toshiba L655, running Windows 7 home premium 64 bits. It was working fine until 2 days ago... I lost Internet connection even through I have full (5 bars) strength... I have a gadget on the computer called Network meter and it shows I have Internal IP but not external. EXTERNAL=NO connection... any idea, any one? Can anyone Please give me some idea what to do? All of my assignments and works are on the computer and it is working (just without ANY connection to the Internet)... Try to connect with wire LAN too but same problem.... also borrow one of those USB kind that use to connect to the Internet, still not working even with full 5 bars and computer is showing internet connection.... just don't seem to be able to get online at all.... PLEASE HELP!

THANK YOU.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: external ip=no connection
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: external ip=no connection
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Given only this detail
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 25, 2014 2:25 AM PDT

This is as good as writing "it's not working." Since it worked 2 days ago I suggest you backup what you can't lose then use System Restore to 2 days ago. Diagnosis is not possible with so little detail and while I have other ways to restore the machine, we can't endanger files so we always perform out backup before we begin repairs.
Bob

Collapse -
your advice
by jimluis / May 25, 2014 10:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Given only this detail

I follow your advice and backup all my files. I also try system restore to recover to an earlier date but all fail. it will run then when restart, it tells me that it fail to restore. I also notice all the wireless network password are gone. Please let me know what information I need to provide in order resolve the problem.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Collapse -
Fails to restore. Many causes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 25, 2014 11:20 AM PDT
In reply to: your advice

Norton and other protection causes that. Remember I can't guess what folk use. If I listed them all, I would never be able to do more but repeat prior copy.

I know this is asking a lot, but system restore is a basic tool for Windows. Let's fix that first.
Bob

Collapse -
antivirus
by jimluis / May 25, 2014 1:14 PM PDT

I have norton (but expire) and have active AVG free running

Collapse -
I have to ask
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 26, 2014 12:23 AM PDT
In reply to: antivirus

Did you research how to re-enable system restore for Norton? It's on the web. I don't mind finding it for you but to speed things along, you would do that on your own.
Bob

Collapse -
What folk often don't find so fast
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 26, 2014 12:41 AM PDT
In reply to: I have to ask

Is the Norton Removal Tool. Google "Norton Removal Tool" and get it from Symantac,

Collapse -
Answer
isp connection
by aboveinfranet / June 4, 2014 6:01 PM PDT

Probably an ISP problem.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?