Storage forum

General discussion

External IDE spontaneously removes itself while playing media

by Sharkd0g / March 12, 2007 7:50 PM PDT

I am using a PowerSpec external enclosure with an EIDE 250GB western digital drive and connected via USB 2.0, on my "old reliable" HP pavilion desktop, XP pro SP2... always updated.

I use synchronization software (SyncBack) to help me manage manual back-ups from time to time.

Additionally, I store all of my media on the external drive. Recently, especially when I play video files, the drive appears to spontaneously remove itself from Windows... the PC CRASHES instantly! I have to use a soft reset, and the system seems fine.

I have tried several media applications. All with the same outcome.

I have checked the system hardware config. All drivers are installed correctly, and all detectable hardware seems to be fully operational.
I suspected that my PCI USB 2.0 card may be bad... so I installed a new one in an open slot yet the problem persists.

I would be grateful if anyone has an idea for me to try... I like having all of these large files on my external, but they aren't readily viewable with this happening.

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: External IDE spontaneously removes itself while playing media
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: External IDE spontaneously removes itself while playing media
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"the PC CRASHES instantly!" = clue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 12, 2007 11:35 PM PDT

When I see that I instantly turn to investigating motherboard drivers. Tell me what make, model PC and what version driver you installed.

Bob

Collapse -
PC specifications
by Sharkd0g / March 13, 2007 9:54 AM PDT

Hello,

My machine is an HP pavilion xl946, AMD Athlon 1.1GHz, 512MB RAM, DVD-rom, DVD

Collapse -
Links, comment.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 13, 2007 10:52 AM PDT
In reply to: PC specifications
Collapse -
Hyperion 4-in-1 5.10a seems like the solution.
by Sharkd0g / March 13, 2007 9:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Links, comment.

Thank you for the helpful links.

It seems that all of my drivers were current except for the VIA AGP driver. I had v4.60a now I have 4.80a... I went through the entire hyperion 4-in-1 installation anyway.

Was this the culprit?

Nonetheless, I tested by playing several files (.avi .mp3 .mpg2 .ogm & .wmv) The system remained stable through each!

Hopefully it will remain so... Thank you!

Collapse -
Updated drivers = new issue???
by Sharkd0g / March 13, 2007 9:45 PM PDT
In reply to: Links, comment.

Although media seems to play stably, now it seems that my data transfer rates are poor.

I tried to copy an ~800MB file from a USB flash to the external IDE. Both peripherals are connected through the same PCI, and the flash drive is on a 4port powered hub.

This transfer would normally take me 3-5min and now it takes 30+... almost seems like USB1.1 rather than 2.0

This has me puzzled. Any ideas?

As always, Thank you!

Collapse -
Sometimes I find that...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 13, 2007 9:50 PM PDT

Shutting down, moving the PCI card to another slot helps this.

There are software methods to do this sort of refresh of the PCI information but I go with this since it's less work.

Bob

Collapse -
windows update & relocate PCI fix!
by Sharkd0g / March 13, 2007 10:21 PM PDT

Everything seems back to expected function/performance!

802MB transfer in <3min ...files still open/play from peripheral drives!

Thanks so much!
Have a good one, Scott

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?