HolidayBuyer's Guide

Storage forum

Question

External HDD erased 220GB but hasnt freed the space.

by GoneOnAcid / September 29, 2016 5:29 AM PDT

I had installed 220GB of games on my external HDD. Then after i turned my laptop off for a while and came back it said that there was some damaged files on on my HDD and it had to be cleaned up. So i let it clean up even though i was quite pissed that i had to reinstall all the games. when i looked at it afterwards i realized that the games were gone but it still used 300 GB of space somewhere but it doesnt seem to be on the HDD and my laptop doesnt even have that much space. Any help is appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: External HDD erased 220GB but hasnt freed the space.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: External HDD erased 220GB but hasnt freed the space.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: games
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 29, 2016 6:01 AM PDT

It's not really recommended to run games from an external hard disk. These are SLOW, especially if USB 2. With USB 3 it's somewhat better. Better buy a bigger internal disk for the laptop?

- Anyway, what is that "it" that still uses 300 GB of space and what is "somewhere"? Can you tell where you looked and what you saw?
- What is the relation between that 220 GB and that 300 GB? What's the difference of 80 GB? That was already present somewhere?
- Sometimes, depending on the cleaning program, it saves what it found in hidden files and folders. Those still use space. Set your OS (Windows?) to show hidden and system files and have a new look at the disk.

If no luck at all, format that external disk and reinstall your games. Then make a backup on another external, so you can go back in the future without reinstalling. If you manage to fix it without format, such a backup might be a good idea also.

Collapse -
Re: Re: games
by GoneOnAcid / September 29, 2016 9:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: games

- Anyway, what is that "it" that still uses 300 GB of space and what is "somewhere"? Can you tell where you looked and what you saw?

its a new drive i got 3 days ago so there is only the steam (gameservice) folder which uses 80GB. which i why i wrote 300 by mistake. there is nothing else on the drive but when i check properties it says 300GB is used.

Collapse -
Recycle bin
by Bob__B / September 29, 2016 12:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Re: games

Is there a recycle bin on this ext hdd?
Run a pass of disk cleanup on the ext hdd.

Collapse -
no
by GoneOnAcid / September 29, 2016 1:40 PM PDT
In reply to: Recycle bin

no there is only 2 folders with 80GB together 2 setup files and the warranty

Collapse -
Now open a command window.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 29, 2016 2:10 PM PDT
In reply to: no

In the root folder example.

E:\>dir /a

What do you see?

Collapse -
nothing
by GoneOnAcid / September 29, 2016 4:35 PM PDT

it doesnt seem to exist. no matter where i search nothing else comes up.

now you can probably guess im not extremely skilled with the work process of a computer as i mostly surf the web and play games. so im wondering if im not just better off reformating the disk as there is nothing on it that i cant just put on my laptop and back again?

depending on how much trouble that is ofcourse.

Collapse -
So chkdsk passes?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 29, 2016 4:47 PM PDT
In reply to: nothing

There are folk that have 1TB drives and complain the size is less than 1TB. You're starting to make me wonder if this is that issue.

Search may not show what a simple DIR /A will.

There are many users that will not get the command done. Can you put a screenshot of the space up on imgur.com?

Collapse -
yes
by GoneOnAcid / September 29, 2016 7:54 PM PDT
In reply to: So chkdsk passes?

i will do that right now

Collapse -
here it is
by GoneOnAcid / September 29, 2016 8:27 PM PDT
In reply to: yes
Collapse -
Here it is
by Bob__B / September 29, 2016 10:59 PM PDT
In reply to: here it is

I don't know what product you used to generate that screen but tryn it again with the dos command mentioned above.

Collapse -
what does "disk manager" show?
by James Denison / September 29, 2016 7:04 PM PDT
In reply to: nothing

?????

Collapse -
No
by Bob__B / September 29, 2016 10:55 PM PDT
In reply to: no

Did you run a pass of disk cleanup on the ext hdd?

Collapse -
Re: nothing else
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 30, 2016 12:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Re: games

There is 220 GB else. Call that nothing?

Probably a hidden or system file then. You can see that in Explorer after setting the options to show them. Or boot to some Linux disc or stick (free to make) to have a look at everything Windows doesn't show.

Collapse -
Let's hope they figure out how to show all files.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 30, 2016 10:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: nothing else

But even with that, I did run across PCs that with that set, did not show the System Volume Information folder.

DIR /A however did show it!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.