Storage forum

General discussion

External HDD - drg and drop or software?

by kmichau / September 7, 2006 4:49 AM PDT

Hello out there. This is my first post, so sorry if I'm doing it wrong!

I just purchased a MyBook essential 250GB hard drive for backup purposes (yes, I know that it is not ideal, but for now, better than nothing!) It did not come with any software, but I can drag and drop files / folders into it. This seems adaquate for protecting these specific files. What other big advantages would I get from additional software (such as Genie backup manager, Ghost, retrospect, etc.)?

Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: External HDD - drg and drop or software?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: External HDD - drg and drop or software?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Fails what is acceptable backup criteria.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 7, 2006 4:57 AM PDT

This is not my list but the items include.

1. More than one copy.
2. Offsite copies.
3. Write protect on the media.

Your USB drive is a fine copy but fails as a backup device. The common USB drive meets none of the above criteria.

Collapse -
drag and drop vs software
by kmichau / September 7, 2006 5:02 AM PDT

Thanks Bob- I have seen your wise help in other threads, but have only completed step one thus far. What about the drag and drop vs software? It seems software would be more complete and have automatic downloading, etc, that would be useful.

Thanks again,

Collapse -
Here's a thought.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 7, 2006 5:10 AM PDT

Drag and drop is fine to get a second copy of files. I usually never bother to backup an OS completely since such is time consuming and other issues. You can look to Acronis for that solution.

As to other backup software I don't use it for at home since my system is as follows.

1. Copy to some USB drive (fast, dirty, done)
2. Send the important works to a server via OpenSSH. Pretty fast, secure against worms, done.)
3. When I have time, copy my works to a rotating set of DVDRW disks. Longer in time but covers the areas about multiple copies, media rotation and off site storage.
4. Finally I have the usb memory key for the handful of files I never want to lose. This I carry with me.

Since I can write software, it's not a big deal to schedule a batch file to automate item 1.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?