Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

PC Hardware forum

General discussion

External HD not working in firewire

by jim-obrian / January 23, 2006 8:14 PM PST

I recently purchased an external HD (3.5 desktop Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 80gig Model:ST380011A) and a hard drive enclosure (unbranded but working).

I wanted to connect the HD to my laptop with a measly 20 gig HD to store video. I tested the enclosure with a 10 gig Quantum fireball HD that I knew worked fine. The drive was recognised by windows was formatted etc through USB 1.1.

When I tried to connect my drive using the enclosures firewire port however the drive failed to show in my computer. After some serious fiddling it DID work (once) and I was able to transfer data successfully.

After this I put the Seagate HD in the enclosure and attached it to windows via USB 1.1. The drive was formatted in NTFS and worked perfectly. Again when I tried to use firewire it failed to be recognised by windows, no matter how much i fiddled.

Now my firewire port in my laptop is a PCMCIA card (unpowered), this couldnt be the problem however because the enclosure has its own power supply and you can hear the HD initialising when you flip the power switch on the enclosure.

The firewire card itself works fine, I have tested it with my Ipod mini and it recognises it and transfers data perfectly.

I've checked device manager and the HD doesnt show in disk drives when connected via firewire, when connected via USB it shows as 'ST380011 A USB Device'.

The firewire device shows as it should do, under Network adapters and IEEE1394 devices when plugged in.

The thing that really has me confused is that about 80% of the time when I connect the HD via firewire I can hear the ping that shows windows has detected a new PnP device, but nothing shows in device manager, my computer or Disk management!!!

Please help me!!

P.S. I own a toshiba satellite 1110
Mobile intel celeron 1.5 Ghz
256mb RAM
16mb Mobile Radeon Graphics

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: External HD not working in firewire
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: External HD not working in firewire
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No fix known.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 23, 2006 9:28 PM PST

That's a windows annoyance. A lesson I learned is to connect said units with USB on PCs and Firewire on the Macs. It seems this is something still under development.

In closing, no OS was noted.

Bob

Collapse -
my OS
by jim-obrian / January 24, 2006 12:43 AM PST
In reply to: No fix known.

Apologies

My OS is XP home SP 2 updated fully

Thanks for taking the time to answer my query anyway.

Collapse -
Sorry. I don't know how to fix this one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 24, 2006 1:53 AM PST
Collapse -
I wonder. Bob.
by chuckieu / January 24, 2006 2:54 AM PST

If this is the reason a lot of the new 64-bit (at least the AMD ones) motherboards don't support firewire. Just a thought. chuck

Collapse -
I have a nice Athlon 64 with firewire.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 24, 2006 4:25 AM PST
In reply to: I wonder. Bob.

Seems fine here. The reason you may not see firewire everywhere is that 1 dollar royalty to it's patent holders.

Bob

Collapse -
Was going by your comment....
by chuckieu / January 25, 2006 3:07 AM PST

about firewire not working well on PCs. Have seen you make it before. Even though I may not need it, I insist that any MOBO I use include it, and the case have a front
plug. Haven't moved to 64-bit yet, but have a nice socket 939 board picked out that supports 1394A. Cheers. chuck

Collapse -
I only noted that on hard disk. It is however...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 25, 2006 3:14 AM PST

The only way to hook up camcorders.

If you read Microsoft's knowledge base, they were still patching it up in SP1, then again in SP2 and if you watch others, you get the idea that hard disks on firewire (with Windows) is just not ready for everyday use.

Bob

Collapse -
Welcome Vista
by jim-obrian / January 25, 2006 5:50 AM PST

Hopefully with the introduction of Vista Microsoft will correct this fundamental problem.

I can't really see it though, microsoft have their lot in with USB (financially) and developing support for firewire which has a superior actual throughrate than USB 2.0 (according to CNet ZNet and other major hardware reviewers) would just be throwing money away!!

N.B. Microsot get royalties every time a device is created for USB so the more USB devices the more money they make (for those who dont already know that).

Collapse -
Look who gets the money on firewire...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 25, 2006 6:01 AM PST
In reply to: Welcome Vista

Feel the love?

Bob

Collapse -
Firewire owners
by jim-obrian / January 25, 2006 4:52 PM PST

"Technically Apple is the legal guardian of this closely protected property, six of the eight key patents issued for FireWire technology cite Michael D. Jonas Teener as the chief architect responsible for their advancements. In fact, when Teener left National Semiconductor in 1986 to join Apple Computer, he had already begun early efforts on a low-cost technology to connect hard drives to one another.

Teener became the founding chair and editor of the international standard (IEEE-1394), a blueprint for the exchange of high-bandwidth digital audio. He was also instrumental in recruiting ideas from other innovators and in expanding the ambitions of the multimedia technology to include video streaming."
[edited]

So, Apple gets the money from the major patents and that guy has his name credited with the invention. Also interesting to discover that firwire was initially a system to connect hard drives together ... another case of Microsoft really dropping the ball.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!