Storage forum

Question

External Hardrives which types are best?

by ByronBygone / December 10, 2011 12:06 AM PST

It seems there are two different kinds of External hardrives.

1. Ones with internal AC and internal fans.

2. Ones with external AC that you can hook/unhook on the hardrive and with no fans but instead with glossy cooling case (kind of like aluminium or something).

Which is the best type in terms of reliability and lifespan?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: External Hardrives which types are best?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: External Hardrives which types are best?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
None so far.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 10, 2011 12:12 AM PST

As I've seen those and let's face it, all models at the shops the best types are the ones folk get in pairs. They get TWO because they can keep a backup on the second model.

Yes there is some solid state models now and those might hold up well against what usually kills external drives.
Bob

Collapse -
by ByronBygone / December 10, 2011 12:30 AM PST
In reply to: None so far.

Yeah but I need like 2TB, an SSD external hardrive with 2TB will cost a small fortune. So I am stuck with the regular hardrives for now.

Collapse -
So get two.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 10, 2011 12:35 AM PST
In reply to: ...

Externals of all types today with spinning drives are dying very easily. If your 2TB matters, you have a backup.
Bob

PS. Those that think picking the right drive will avoid the backup, have not learned the lesson.

Collapse -
by ByronBygone / December 10, 2011 1:05 AM PST
In reply to: So get two.

What do you mean a backup? I am not going to buy two external hardrives the put the same exact content in both of them, it would end up costing 300 bucks instead of 150 bucks, plus there is no guarantee that both won't die up eventually.

Okay I get that external hardrives are not as reliable as external ssd's, but as I said when you know that an external ssd cost about 130 bucks for 64GB, it comes to the point where you don't really have much of a choice other than to buy the less reliable external hardrives. Anyway, that wasn't my question, I want to buy a new external hardrive (previous ones when I was still using Windows XP where Iomega Presitge 500GB and Iomega Professional 1TB) now I am using Windows 7 64 bits Home Edition and the company that I want to buy from sells either one type of external hardrive with external AC and cold aluminium case and another type is with an internal AC and internal cooling fans. Which is best? And what are the differences really?

Collapse -
Then you have not learned the lesson and
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 10, 2011 1:30 AM PST

You seem to dismiss the fact that we only lose what we didn't backup. I found NO DIFFERENCE in the units when it comes to failures.

If the sellers will not discuss the products with you, I would not shop there. Here I found zero difference as to the life spans.

It is true both will die. But with a spare copy it means that when one dies you know to get another drive to get back into a state of backup.
Bob

Collapse -
Backup Backup Backup
by TWB404 / December 10, 2011 1:51 AM PST

It is the same as the location for a business. If you do treasure or need your data to be safe you will need to make three backups. External drives are not that expensive. You are correct that it will cost close to $300, is the data you have worth that. I have a minimun of three backups of everything I considered important.

Check out the Seagate drives at Newegg and ask how bad you might need that data some day.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007601%2050001305%20600030763&IsNodeId=1&name=1TB%20and%20higher

Remember to treat these drives as if they are your new born child.

Collapse -
Internal AC and fan?
by ahtoi / December 10, 2011 5:05 AM PST

I have not heard of that. How about a link for that? Or do you mean one that uses USB power?

Collapse -
I was answering the part about which one is more reliable
by TWB404 / December 10, 2011 6:16 AM PST
In reply to: Internal AC and fan?

I do not use ones with fans or external AC adapters. All hard drives run off DC so I prefer to let the USB power them. I have always like and used Seagate and Western Digital hard drives and found both to very reliable. Seagate is my drive of choice at this time. I do not leave them powered up, I just plug them up and make my backups and then remove them from the system and treat them as if they are a new born baby. It is my humble opinion that most external hard drive failures occur by how they are handled. I even go so far as to wrap them up before I store them. I should tell you that I also use thumb drives and DVD for backups to. It depends on just how important the data is. I break it down into three levels. Critical, important, oh well it will not kill me if I lose it. Images of my C drive are kept on DVD's, thumb drive and external drives. Critical data is kept on thumb drives and external drives. Everything else is on external drives. It all depends on how you view what your backing up. The point to it all is that I have multiple backups of everything and stored in different locations so I am pretty much covered no matter what happens.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?