Windows Vista forum

General discussion

External hardrive with Vista laptop and belkin wirless N rou

by bobcratchet2000 / May 26, 2008 9:18 PM PDT

Please help,

I have a Vista Laptop, an external media hardrive and belkin wirless N router. What I want to do is plug my external HD into the router so I can see the HD with my wirless laptop and for a bonus it would be nice if my PS3 could see it like it can see my laptop for accessing all my media. How do I do this if it is at all possible. I am not extremely computer savvy so please explain in child like terms (I wont be offended). I have plugged the external HD into the router with a blue cable but it doesn't show up anywhere, what do I need to do to see it and access it? Thank you for your help in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: External hardrive with Vista laptop and belkin wirless N rou
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: External hardrive with Vista laptop and belkin wirless N rou
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Can you tell us a bit about the hard drive?

Specifically, I have two main questions:
1.) What is the make/model of the hard drive?
2.) Have you formatted it yet? (They won't show up under My Computer out of the box...you have to format them through Disk Management or a similar process first.)

John

Collapse -
Thanks for the reply
by bobcratchet2000 / May 27, 2008 9:35 PM PDT

Hi John

It is a media hardrive here is the link to where I got it http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110253298381&ssPageName=MERCOSI_VI_ROSI_PR4_PCN_BIX_Stores&refitem=300223346625&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&refwidgettype=osi_widget&_trksid=p284.m185&_trkparms=algo%3DSI%26its%3DI%252BIA%26itu%3DCR%252BIA%252BUCI%26otn%3D4%26ps%3D42

Am not sure what the make of the hardrive is as I think they put them in. I have formatted it via my TV on screen. I can see it when I plug it into my laptop via the USB but thats about as much as I can do.
What I would like to do is plug it into the back of my Belkin wireless router and be able to save files to it wirelesly if I can do that? or do I need something else for that. In the long run I would like my Games console to be able to see it and stream the media from it like I do with my laptop instead of having the laptop on all of the time.
I dont think I am going to be able to do this with this product though, what do you think?

Collapse -
Well...
by John.Wilkinson / May 29, 2008 2:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for the reply

It is possible to access data on a networked hard drive using the PS3, and reportedly so with this model as well, though in this case I'd have to defer questions to Envizage as it's their own in-house design (complete with operating system) without any publicly-available documentation. Some of the links on their website are broken, and they offer no technical support section, but you should be able to receive assistance via e-mail by contacting wayne(at)envizage[dot]com or over the phone by calling 0845 299 0393.

John

Collapse -
Still no joy
by bobcratchet2000 / May 29, 2008 7:53 PM PDT
In reply to: Well...

First off, can I just thank you for your help on this and your research.

I have cantacted the makers directly and they gave me a link to update the firmware. Can I update the firmware via usb and is it automatic, will it do it and put it in the right place on it's own? I dont know about firmware if it is supoposed to go on my laptop or in the external hardrive? If it is in the Ex HD do I just point the downlod to the HD file area and it will do the rest or do I have to go deeper?

Am I doing something wrong as I am learning this as I go along.
Here is what I done to TRY and put it on my network: Firstly I formatted the HD, Plugged the HD into laptop via USB and told it to share I then got an automatic ip address for the HD from the Belkin router, I then plugged the HD into one of the ports in the back of the router. I looked in Network on Vista and it doen't appear, I have also dissabled firewlls so it cant be that, I thought it would just be a case of plug and play. What else can I try?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.