Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

external harddrive..........

by hippiechick37 / July 16, 2006 10:17 PM PDT

I want to buy an external harddrive. I have found the following deals at deals2buy.com and would like to have your opinion on which is best for the price or if you have any other suggestions, please let me know:

1) Seagate 120GB USB 2.0 Portable 2.5'' External Hard Drive - ST9120801U2-RK

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: external harddrive..........
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: external harddrive..........
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
DIY
by jnbhoward / July 16, 2006 11:04 PM PDT

Instead of buying an already packaged solution, you could buy a much cheaper internal drive, and then find a cheap external enclosure to put it in, creating exactly the same thing, often for considerably less. Not to mention you have the flexibility to, one day down the road, replace the drive with one of higher capacity. About the only drawback, is the lone external enclosure might not look as nice, but I usually stick them somewhere out of sight anyway.

Collapse -
DIY Redux
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 16, 2006 11:33 PM PDT
In reply to: DIY

Not only that but you now know all the secrets of how to make one plus could modify the case if you feel it's a tad hot. Try that with your ready to use units.

Bob

Collapse -
HD
by hippiechick37 / July 16, 2006 11:40 PM PDT
In reply to: DIY

Well I recently lost everything on my computer due to some sort malfunction which I have no idea how it happened. Anyway, I was looking for a solution to having a backup next time this happens and be able to store it on something that has a lot of space. I am not up to date on the latest gadgets and/or bells and whistles that are out there, so any suggestions would be great.

The thing is that when my computer crashed there was no way of going back to fix the damage or at least recover a few things; all was gone!

Collapse -
You need more than an external hard drive
by glb613 / July 17, 2006 3:26 AM PDT
In reply to: HD

to keep your data safe. Burn copies of what's important on DVDs or CDs.

Collapse -
Not always safe
by jnbhoward / July 17, 2006 3:43 AM PDT

Burnable CDs and DVDs use chemical coatings on the recordable surface in order to store data unlike commercial CDs and DVDs which are made by pressing very finely coiled strips of aluminum to the underside of the disc. The chemicals on burnable media will break down after a couple of years, unlike pressed media which, if taken good care of, should last until the bonds of the composing materials break down.

So it's important to keep multiple copies of anything important on CD or DVD, and to check the health of the discs often. It's also wise to replace the discs every couple of months so you aren't just waiting for it to fail before you make a copy. I've heard it suggested, and find it rather prudent myself, to use a tiered and rotating system of rewritable discs. You buy 10-25 rewritable discs, and use a new one each time you make a new backup. Once you run out, you erase the first disc and put the new backup on it. It's unlikely they will all fail at once, short of being stored in unsuitable conditions, so you should have multiple backup revisions. Recovering the majority of lost data is usually far preferable to not being able to recover any.

Flash memory based devices probably make for more reliable long term storage. They degrade with use like almost everything else, don't store as much, and they're more expensive than blank CDs or DVDs, but they should last considerably longer, and they're a lot easier to store.

Collapse -
Archival Gold Cds
by CHWarwick / August 5, 2006 9:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Not always safe

I use an External HD and love it, but I have just discovered Archival Gold CDs , supposed to last 300 YEARS! Bought a spindle of 100 and split it with a friend. They are CD-R 74 min, 650 MB.
I imagine they also have CD-RW.

I am now going to back up my *really* important stuff from the External to the Gold Cds...

http://www.delkin.com/

Collapse -
x-drive
by Amos16 / July 17, 2006 1:22 AM PDT

Hi - if you do not trust yourself to do the DIY tinkering, you would be best served to stick to the time-proven ones: Seagate, Maxtor or WD. There are minor differences between them, and if you ask IT techies you might get the Ford vs. Chevy kind of discussion. Make sure that they have more than 7000 rpm and the latest technical additions - you'll find them on their sites or in the dealers catalogue. Good luck - Amos.

Collapse -
All good suggestions
by dwalmz / July 17, 2006 4:25 AM PDT
In reply to: x-drive

All good suggestions above. I would like to add if you DIY, make sure to get a quality USB HD enclosure. Cheap ones are apt to failure! If you go the other route, the same thing applies. Stick to a name brand!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?