Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

External hard drives causing PC to fail to boot up

by smoynihan / January 24, 2006 9:57 PM PST

I have a Dell Dimension 8400 PC - Windows XP Media Center Edition; pentium 4 cpu 3.2; 1 G memory. We have many music/video/digital image files and have purchased 3 external hard drives for storage and back-up purposes connected via USB(2 Western Digital 80GB each; and 1 Seagate 160 GB). We have 1 HP printer, 1 Visioneer scanner, and a kodak digital scanner connected via USB ports. With the addition of the most recent Seagate external drive the PC fails to boot up when the externals are turned on. I bought a USB hub to try and rectify the problem but no help. Obvious solution is to wait to turn the external Seagate on after the PC boots up but given the computers CPU and physical memory shouldn't it be able to boot up right away with the devices connected and powered on???? please help thanks Sean

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: External hard drives causing PC to fail to boot up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: External hard drives causing PC to fail to boot up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sean, Wow, 6 USB Devices Turned On...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 25, 2006 12:51 AM PST

Unfortunately, with that many "similar" devices running at the same time, conflicts are bound to occur...First, by "Fails to boot up", what exactly occurs? Is there an error message or does the comp simply stay at a black screen? Recognize the more USB devices, the slower the boot will be..How long have you waited?

Note the article below at the link:

You Cannot Simultaneously Use Multiple USB Scanners in Windows XP

Next, are you using Service Pack 2 on the XP Media Center Edition..If not, you probably should..Lots' of fixes in SP2..

Have you checked for a BIOS update for that computer? See the computer manufacturer's website..

Have you installed all the most recent firmware or drivers for all the external drives?

Since you stated the hard drives would be used as backups, I'm curious why you would want to run them all at the same time?

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
External hard drive issue
by smoynihan / January 25, 2006 4:08 AM PST

Grif -

Thanks for your response. In answering your questions

1. the screen continues to remain black with the curser blinking in the top left hand corner.
2. I've waited for quite some time without anything happening.
3.I have SP2

You're absolutely correct in wondering what the need for all of them to be operating at once is - there is no need - it only happened because I was doing some transferring of files from the two 80GB to the 160 GB so they were all on.

On a normal day I would not need them all running at the same time and even if I did I can power them on after the system boots up. This Dell has been fantastic but I had a previous Dell PC that had myriad problems so I was curious as to whether this system is performing properly. From your response, I may be expecting too much from the system.

The firmware/drivers are all up to date but I will check the BIOS.

Thanks for your time. I appreciate it. Sean

Collapse -
Power supply problem?
by bbcamp2 / January 27, 2006 5:31 AM PST

With so many USB users, could you have overloaded the USB power bus? I don't know for sure, and am far from being an expert, so I'm just thinking out loud...

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!