Storage forum

General discussion

External Hard Drive Won't Show Up in Explorer

by AntiRellik / April 14, 2008 2:58 PM PDT

I have a usb backup hard drive that will not show up in windows explorer. When I go to disk management, I can see the drive. I have tried to format the drive but I get the error: "The operation did not complete because the partition or volume is not enabled. To enable the partition or volume restart the computer." Of course, this doesnt work. I have also tried to give the drive a letter and explore the drive this way, however when I try to do this it tells me that it is a RAW file system. However, I know this isn't true because when I dual boot into ubuntu, I can see the drive and access it with no problem. Ubuntu says it is formatted to NTFS.

Mach Speed P4M800 mobo, Ultra Hard drive enclosure, 80 gig drive.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: External Hard Drive Won't Show Up in Explorer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: External Hard Drive Won't Show Up in Explorer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 14, 2008 10:28 PM PDT

Start over by removing partitions in Windows, create a new partition and format it there. What's there sounds corrupt.

Collapse -
Same Error
by AntiRellik / April 15, 2008 1:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Try

I can't start over reformatting from windows, because I still get the error telling me the drive is not enabled.

Collapse -
Then...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 15, 2008 1:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Same Error

Make better posts. You are telling about an error but not sharing it exactly as Windows presents it to you. Try putting the "error message in quotes."

Collapse -
With Quotes
by AntiRellik / April 15, 2008 5:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Then...

When I tell it to format I get the error message "The operation did not complete because the volume is not enabled. To enable the partition or volume restart the computer." When I restart the computer nothing changes, I still have the same problems. However, I can change the drive letter, but it still doesn't show up in explorer. When I right click the volume, and click explore, I get the error message "I:\ is not accessible. The volume does not contain a recognized file system. Please make sure all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted."

Collapse -
The most common reason for this is...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 15, 2008 5:05 AM PDT
In reply to: With Quotes

A "Virtual Drive" such as cd/dvd emulators.

Collapse -
Fix?
by AntiRellik / April 15, 2008 5:14 AM PDT

Is there a way to fix this? Change whatever the problem is? I don't believe I have a cd/dvdemulator or a virtual disk.

Collapse -
Email me your HIJACKTHIS LOG file.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 15, 2008 7:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Fix?
Collapse -
Got it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 15, 2008 10:04 AM PDT

I see "Ulead CD/DVD Burning Plugin" and that XDrive service. These are drive emulations and such that you can try without. Still picking through your log file.
Bob

Collapse -
XDrive
by AntiRellik / April 15, 2008 10:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Got it.

I just installed Xdrive a couple days ago, I've had the problem for quite awhile longer.

Collapse -
Couldn't find a HJT log file.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 15, 2008 10:20 AM PDT
In reply to: XDrive

While the report is comprehensive I'm going to probably call this machine as unsupportable. It's just too far out from the norm. Who do you usually call for help and how did it get all this stuff on it?

Collapse -
No one
by AntiRellik / April 15, 2008 11:26 AM PDT

This machine was made by a local company about 3 years ago. I usually troubleshoot things myself so I don't really call anyone for help. The hard drive is a ghost copy of a previous computer, but I think I've gotten rid of most of the obsolete files.

Collapse -
Unsupportable?
by AntiRellik / April 15, 2008 11:27 AM PDT
In reply to: No one

What do you mean this computer is unsupportable and too far away from the norm? What is all the "stuff" I have on here?

Collapse -
The report you sent me is...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 15, 2008 11:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Unsupportable?

One of the most complicated installs I've seen in some time. If there was a prize I'd give it to you. But I do see some drive emulations there which could be it.

Can you send just the HJT log next time.
Maybe I'll spot it but that's one fat tamale of an OS.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks for the award
by AntiRellik / April 15, 2008 11:43 AM PDT

I just went back to the link you sent me, and apparently I downloaded the SystemStartup, would it help if I downloaded HJT and sent you that file or is the same info in both programs?

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 15, 2008 12:01 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for the award

I've read the HJT far more often. Maybe someone can read the first one you sent me but all I can think of is to use MSCONFIG for now and keep disabling items till the drive works or the error message stops.

Collapse -
Ok
by AntiRellik / April 15, 2008 12:05 PM PDT
In reply to: Sorry.

Thank You for your help and time!

Collapse -
Just checked my email.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 15, 2008 12:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Ok

No HJT file. If my spam filter ate it, I apologize.

Collapse -
I'll try again...
by AntiRellik / April 16, 2008 2:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Just checked my email.

I'll try to send the HJT log file again in a couple hours.

Collapse -
Your HJT file.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 20, 2008 2:04 PM PDT
Collapse -
UTSCSI and VNC
by AntiRellik / April 20, 2008 2:40 PM PDT
In reply to: Your HJT file.

I used to use VNC, however I am unsure why it is running, I'm going to disable it right now. However, I do not know what UTSCSI is.

Collapse -
Progress...
by AntiRellik / April 21, 2008 4:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Your HJT file.

I have made a little bit of progress, but still having problems. I can now read and write to the drive if I right click and then click open from disk management. However, the drive is still not being seen in Explorer, and when I click explore I am taken to My Computer. Also, when I try to format, I still get the error message "The operation did not complete because the partition or volume is not enabled. To enable the partition or volume, restart the computer."

Collapse -
Are drive letters hidden?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 21, 2008 4:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Progress...

See tweakui and check if drive letters are hidden.

The OS looks to have taken a wierd hit. Lots of data but no smoking gun I can find.
Bob

Collapse -
It Works!!!
by AntiRellik / April 21, 2008 5:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Progress...
Collapse -
Glad it's done.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 21, 2008 6:26 AM PDT
In reply to: It Works!!!

At the very least, even though I didn't figure it out you did get rid of a few items that needed cleaning up.

Hope we do better next time!
Bob

Collapse -
I am not real 'technical", speaking a 'motherese' instead
by jycnan / August 18, 2009 3:11 AM PDT

I hooked up two new external hard drives, NO PROBLEMS, well up until the second was formatting and we got hit with a power failure! Computer was on a backup, but not the external hard drives as of yet. That stupid message drove me nuts! I looked everywhere and there was not an answer I could find. Hence, since my computer also had a 'clone' drive installed (incase I wreck this one) I started tinkering. (I also tried the clone drive, IT SAW IT and would access it). I figured since after four hours and 2:00 a.m. that I would try Acronis in the morning. (Okay, the reason I didn't clone back, was due to the fact that at that point in time, I had not been able to do a successful clone. Took my tech 3 hours for this simple 15 minute operation since there was something obviously amiss.)

I turned the computer on went to the storage/disk management and got the same natty message. For some strange reason, I checked the system tray thing, the right hand side, where the little "Safely Remove Hardware" icon is. I double clicked on that and found that my one drive was fine, but the other one had been 'stopped'!? I can't remember why I did not tell it to enable there (it might have refused), but I went to Control Panel/System/Device Manger scrolled down through there and found 'storage devices' that shouldn't have ought to have been there! I checked that out and it was showing a "generic" storage devise. I don't have GENERIC, I have Western Digital and the computer verified that the other two were Western Digitals. So I told it to enable it there.

Then guess what I did? I rebooted again, just because.

Then I did the Start/other click (right) on My Computer/Manage/Disk Management and I think it had decided on it's own drive letter moved my CD Rom do another letter, and by that point let me partition and format it and it has been working fine ever since.

Not sure if this is the right answer, but my problem was identical. (Granted I don't have a clue about Ubuntu), but the error message was the same, couldn't partition, format, changed the drive letter, rebooted and rebooted... and kept getting that message.

If that doesn't work and since it doesn't already work, the next thing I would try is to stop the drive from the little system tray "Safely Remove Hardware" thingy, then reboot, then go through the ordeal of enabling it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.