Storage forum

General discussion

external hard drive to transition from Windows 98se

I have a Dell Dimension XPS B866r pentium 3. I'm on OS Windows 98se and considering buying a Seagate 160 GB external hard drive. Will Windows 98se allow its use? I want to copy my current files and then return them after my upgrade to Windows XP Professional. I've heard that some OS don't allow hard drives over a certain size. I could drop down to an Seagate 80 GB external hard drive if necessary. But the 160 GB hard drive seemed better buy per $.

I'm hoping for smooth, quick transition. Thanks to CNet for this forum.

ListGal

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: external hard drive to transition from Windows 98se
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: external hard drive to transition from Windows 98se
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Link about...

In reply to: external hard drive to transition from Windows 98se

http://www.48bitlba.com notes the 127gb limit. However if they list 98se as a supported OS on the drive they'll either supply a driver or show you how to partition it proper.

But a word of caution. This is not a valid backup. Be sure that this is not your only copy.

Bob
Collapse -
Another approach ..buy another internal hard drive instead.

In reply to: external hard drive to transition from Windows 98se

Install the WinXP Upgrade on the new hard disk drive and once it's up and running....then attach the old hard drive and copy the data to the new hard drive. The reuse the old HDD as a backup. You're much better off to do a clean install than upgrading an old one like Win98SE. The only thing you'll need handy is your old Win98SE CD to put in when it asks for evidence of a product to upgrade..

Now...why internal versus external ? Unless you really need data portability and the only way is an external hard drive, you're far better off backing up to another internal hard drive than an external hard disk drive. External are much more susceptible to damage simply because of all the handling. Just look at the myriad of messages in this and other forums on CNET about folks with external hard drives that their systems won't recognize and they can't get data off. A good system design, with logical partitioning, multiple hard drives and some decent software can be assurnace that let's you sleep well at night vice tossing and turning knowing you're simpl not prepared to recover quickly or easily when, not if, disaster strikes.

Hope this helps.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
smooth, quick transition from 98SE to XP

In reply to: Another approach ..buy another internal hard drive instead.

R. Proffitt & VAPCMD, I appreciate the wisdom and time you've given this. I'm learning a lot. Thanks to the HDINFO tool, I know my system won't support a 160 GB external drive (no 48-bit LBA). I could still get a less than 137 GB external, but am rethinking the whole ''external'' hard drive. I'd been using NTI BackUp (to CD) for years and they say they have an upgrade I can D/L for $40. It can backup my 98 SE stuff, I'd reformat the hard drive, install XP and then restore my personal files again with same NTI program installed on XP. Tomorrow I'll check on the internal hard drive idea a bit more. I saw today that Wal-Mart even had internal hard drives but I didn't observe details as I wasn't considering that option, then. We (husband & I) replaced the hard drive on this computer a couple years ago and that wasn't hard. Will XP be able to handle this 2 hard drive thing or will I need special software? The idea of backing up stuff without compressing or using special software sounds smooth.

ListGal

Collapse -
OK List Lady

In reply to: smooth, quick transition from 98SE to XP

Another option since you're starting from scratch is a secondary controller with a BIOS to go along with that new large hard drive. The benefit, it eliminates the old system BIOS limitation AND circumvents the perfomance limitation of your existing drive controller. If you cannot update the system BIOS to overcome the drive capacity limitation ...try the hard drive controller with onboard BIOS. There are probably many out there but I recommend the ones by Promise Technology.

WinXP SP1 will handles drives > 137GB.

Also....checkout NEWEGG.COM...they've got bunches of internal hard drives of all capacities up to 500GB, RPMs up to 10,000 and warranties up to 5 years. They've also got the Promise Controllers too. Excellent prices, speedy order fulfillment and they don't nick you on shipping.

Again...internal is the more stable reliable and cleaner way to go if portability is NOT required.
Just read the messages posted here...it's bad enough
to scare almost anyone from buying one....expecially Maxtor.

Let us know

VAPCMD

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!