Storage forum

General discussion

External Hard drive not responding:(

Hello,
I been using my WD Elements external drive (1Tb) since more than a year and never had any problem. I used it mainly to play videos on my xbox360 but today it suddenly stopped working so when I try plugging it n my computer it doesn?t show up n my computer. Many people have been telling be that its ?dead? so I don?t really care about the actual drive I am wondering if there is a way to recover the data easily? Also the bluelight on the drive still turns on and makes a sound for first few minutes of connecting it to the computer but after that it goes silent and ?Safely remove hardware? icon appears in the taskbar so my computer recognizes the drive but the icon in my computer folder never appears so I cannot access the drive. I have tried plugging in different computer and still no luck. I know I don?t have a faulty usb cable since I used that same cable to connect my printer and it works fine. I am able to see the drive in device manager but not in disk management. Btw my drive is out of warranty as well. I downloaded "PC Inspector File Recovery" and as u can see here:http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/955/54603928.jpg it detects my drive but as 2Tb which is incorrect as mine is 1TB also it was doing the same thing when i tried someones suggested solution on this cnet forum to download this utility: http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download and follow their steps but when i started doing it my drive shows the size of 2199 GB as you can see here: http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/1125/2000k.jpg
Please help me

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: External Hard drive not responding:(
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: External Hard drive not responding:(
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What to do first

In reply to: External Hard drive not responding:(

Disassemble the enclosure and remove the drive. See if it's the type that can plug directly into your PCs MB or be placed in another enclosure. If you're lucky, it's just the old enclosure circuitry that went bad. If the drive still isn't detected using other connection methods, your chances to recover the data yourself grow a bit slim. Try the above suggestion and post back.

Collapse -
No idea :(

In reply to: What to do first

Collapse -
Just remove the 'adapter'...the small PCB that served as the

In reply to: No idea :(

interface in the external enclosure.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
confused

In reply to: Just remove the 'adapter'...the small PCB that served as the

what adapter? where is the adapter located? am so lost .. also where inside of my computer do i connect it ?

Collapse -
First things first

In reply to: confused

Collapse -
After?

In reply to: First things first

so after removing that board what should i do? do i have to connect that board to pc ? remember i want to connect my drive to pc so i can see if its working or not thx

Collapse -
Assuming you removed the external PCB connector

In reply to: After?

from the HDD, you need to open your PC. More than likely you should have an extra SATA hard drive connector on the motherboard which you cable to the WD hard drive you're testing and a power connector.

It should be as simple as connecting the two cables to the hard drive and starting the PC to see if the WD drive is working. If any questions...take a PIC and post as you did before.

VAPCMD

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.