Question

External Hard Drive not recognized by PC

Even an icon for FOUND NEW HARDWARE appears on task bar, when choosing ADD HARDWARE on the CONTROL PANEL, no new hard disc indicated on MY COMPUTER

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: External Hard Drive not recognized by PC
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: External Hard Drive not recognized by PC
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Portable Hard Drive TRANSCEND TS500GSJ25D2-W not recognized

Used OS WINDOWS XP SP2 version.
This external HD is nor recognized by the PC and there is no indication for a new HD conencted, so firther actions are impossible.
Should I try to find some programs from the manufacturer, even that was not mentioned in the manual?
What to do?

- Collapse -
Answer
Re: External hard disk not recognised.
- Collapse -
I followed the procedure to access Disk Management

Anyhow there was no indication about the portable disc I'm trying to add to the hardware list to download some data from my PC.

- Collapse -
If it isn't shown by disk management ...

it's defective. Try another one or a USB-stick (pen drive) to move data from your PC.

Kees

- Collapse -
Additional tests of a an external memory disk

Thanks, Kees

<ore or less I came to the same decision,but yesterday I connected this exetrnal memory disk to another computer - PC - and it worked properlly. I tyried it on a third one - an ASSUS aptop, and it worked fine as well.
Evidently I should think of something else, because I couldn't get out of the situation.
Sorry for the time you spent in aan attempt to help me.
Regards
Kamen

- Collapse -
You're lucky.

You still have all your files. Be sure to have a backup. You might be less lucky in the meantime.

Now use USB-sticks and other external disks to find out what's wrong with this PC. It could be hardware (did you try all USB-ports) and it could be software. If the hardware is OK, a clean install of Windows should certainly to the trick.
A useful diagnostic also: boot from a Linux live disk (they are free) and see if Linux recognises the same external.

Kees

CNET Forums