General discussion

External Hard drive not reading

I have a Fantom Drives 500GB External USB 2.0 Disk Drive. I've had it for a number of months, and it's been working fine. Now, for the past few days, I've used the "Safely Remove Hardware" option, and all of a sudden, when I open the My Computer box, it won't show up. It makes that sound when I turn it on, but won't show. Also, it will still show in the Safely Remove Hardware box. I thank you all in advance for any help you can give me.

Macthe

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: External Hard drive not reading
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: External Hard drive not reading
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Does it show in the Disk Management tool?

And can you format it there?

I've seen this issue and if the volume is in FAT32 it almost always fails.

Bob

- Collapse -
Nope

It doesn't show up in the DMT. My other externals do, though.

- Collapse -
Since it's not in DMT...

Your choice as to warranty or not. Some will try the drive in a new case.

I didn't mention to try another USB cable.

Bob

- Collapse -
Any other suggestions?

So does that mean I've lost ALL the files I have on there? There's no way to get the files off of there?

- Collapse -
Another case would tell.

I take it you didn't try another USB cable.

If you do send it back then the files are definitely going to where ever they send the drive.

Bob

- Collapse -
Sorry

Guess I'm getting a little hysterical here. It's just that the HD is almost three-quarters full, and yeah, I can replace most of the stuff on there, if I could remember what I had on there, but there is some stuff on there that's irreplacable. I haven't tried a new USB cord because I don't know if I'll have to get a new cord directly from the manufacturer, or if there is a generic USB cord I could use. I'm still a bit of a tech noob, so I don't know much.

- Collapse -
Yes, try another USB cord.

Inside those cases are normal hard disks. If you can use screwdrivers you should be able to move the drive to another case and if you are lucky that will fix it.

newegg.com and other places sell such cases. Once the drive is out we look at the model number of the drive to go pick up a new case.

Bob

- Collapse -
Hmm

Would that void my warranty if I did that?

- Collapse -
Yes!

But how much are your files worth?

Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info