Mac Hardware forum

Question

External Hard-Drive Initialized for Windows - Now What?

Hi,

This is entirely my fault - I am a PC...ugh...

I "Initialized" a Mac external hard-drive in a Windows 7 environment (placed an MBR on it) - but DID NOT format the drive - I stopped before it got to that point.

The background...

My sister has an external hard-drive she has been happily using with her Mac. She called me, and said "I can't see it when I plug it into my laptop (running Windows 7).

I know a fair amount about PC hardware, and did some troubleshooting with her - including removing the USB drivers, letting them reinstall, etc...but no dice...

Then saw a forum about using Disk Management - so we could see the disk in there, and it was asking to Initialize the disk before it could be used - and we did so...but again, stopped short of Formatting it.

Now, when the USB drive is plugged into the PC laptop, the drive letter shows up - but asks to format it before using...

It's at that point when I found out she has never used it on a PC (and when I learned something new, duh - that an external drive formatted for a Mac is exclusively for a Mac unless some other special software is used...) - oooops...it's obvious now.

OK - so - I had her try to plug it back into the Mac, and now she gets a message that the disk cannot be read, Ignore, Initialize, or Eject.

What I want to be able to do - is have her get the data back from that external HD (via the Mac) - could someone be kind enough to point me in the right direction on how to do that safely? Thanks!!!!!

(Yes, I take the blame on this one - it was all my doing...greatly appreciate the help!)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: External Hard-Drive Initialized for Windows - Now What?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: External Hard-Drive Initialized for Windows - Now What?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Unfortunately you have made the disk unusable,.

In reply to: External Hard-Drive Initialized for Windows - Now What?

in it's present state, on either platform.

Data Recovery software may be able to bring back the data though.
I would suggest that you download a few of the "free trial" ones and see which one finds the most data before you purchase it.

One of the prime things when working with a third party, your sister, in this case, is to ask as many questions as you can as to what was happening before the problem started to happen.
Perhaps she would have told you that she had no trouble seeing the hard drive when it was plugged into her Mac. Terminology is also important here. Cannot see it when its connected to a Mac is completely different to Cannot see it when its connected to a PC. On the Mac, the drive will mount on the desktop which means the user can "see" it. As you know, drives don't mount on the desktop in Windows, so the user cannot "see" it.
Water under the bridge now.

Try the recovery route and be prepared to be struck off the Christmas card list.

P

Collapse -
Fortunately...you prepared me for that...

In reply to: Unfortunately you have made the disk unusable,.

With your kind parting shot, I was fully prepared for the striking from Christmas list ...thank you Happy

Ah yeah, I will try the recovery route now...live n' learn...maybe I can get the data back and more importantly, get back on the list.

Collapse -
(NT) Good Luck with the project

In reply to: Fortunately...you prepared me for that...

Collapse -
Answer
Just a tip.

When I need to access an Apple HDD my secret weapon is my bootable Ubuntu CD. It understands those drives and I can copy stuff off it.

I know. Too late.
Bob

PS. And yes, the second secret is to have an Apple.

Collapse -
Answer
There is light at the end of the tunnel

Same thing happened to me at work. Had 2 years of work on a hard drive and then wanted to change my configuration from an external harddrive to a network harddrive. Moved the harddrive to the network harddrive enclosure and yup, had a fast finger and clicked on initialize. Long story short, we had to bring it to the Data Recovery professionals and was able to recover everything. It cost me I think $3Gs but it was worth it. Definitely try the data recovery software first before going to the professionals.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!