HolidayBuyer's Guide

Storage forum

General discussion

External hard drive for gaming

by camacho59 / January 30, 2006 10:37 AM PST

I own a laptop that has almost reached it's hard drive capacity.I was thinking of buy a larger hard drive but the cost of the extra 10 gig of hard drive space is not worth it.Can I use an external for gaming on this laptop?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: External hard drive for gaming
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: External hard drive for gaming
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You may be unhappy.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 30, 2006 11:03 AM PST

USB 2.0 drives run about 1/2 the speed of internals. But it beats nothing.

Bob

Collapse -
Using external drive for gaming
by FyrJammer / January 31, 2006 1:22 AM PST

I too have a laptop with 60GB in which I have plenty of room (over 3/4). I have a 300GB external HD partitioned in 3 sections. One section I use for music and games. I also purposely set these partion to drive X Y Z, that way when I plug in the drive, it always come up the same. So in answer to your question, Yes, so long with some possible speed issues and so long as the drive letter is the same as when you installed the game. Good luck and have fun.

Collapse -
Not sure
by camacho59 / January 31, 2006 11:57 AM PST

What do you mean as far as the drive letter being the same as when the I installed the game?

Thanks

Collapse -
Gaming on external hard drive
by FyrJammer / January 31, 2006 11:51 PM PST
In reply to: Not sure

Your primary drive is C: When you install external drives / thumbdrives to your USB, they are assigned drive letters. Let's say you installed your game on your multiple partitioned ED (External Drive) on drive G: - C:(primary) D:(cd/dvd) E:(ED Partition0) F:(partition1) G:(partition2).
You turn on you laptop and plug in your thumbdrive to transfer some files. Now you have drives C: D: E:(ThumbDrive). Now you want to play your game and plug in your ED. Now you have after your thumbdrive F:(partition0) G:(partition1) H:(partion2, where the game is). Your games shortcut is looking for the game on drive G: because that is where you installed it. You must unplug your thumbdrive to play your game.
Does that explain it?

Collapse -
Sorry about previous reply
by FyrJammer / February 1, 2006 12:35 AM PST
In reply to: Not sure

Apologize for previous reply, but wherever you see the sad face Sad , it's actually : (
I didn't preview it before submitting.
My bad.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.