Computer Help forum

General discussion

External hard drive crash(MaxtorOneTouch II300GB)please Help

Hello all
I have had a Maxtor one touch II external hard drive 300gb hooked (USB)to my win XP media center edition, version 2002,service pack3, for about three years now, all relatively was fine until yesterday when I was trying to open a picture from it all of sudden it froze up so I try to closed the file but it don?t let me do anything but at the same time my pc was running fine so I manually switch off the power line from hard drive n turn back on it again since than I can see the drive on my computer as usual n when I try to open it all I am getting a error massage /j.. Is not accessible ???.the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable, I have lot?s file on it witch I need so bad ???..i did research on net almost a week all I found data recovery site, people n place where they asking so much money and than I finely ended up with Search and Recover4 software with dose recovering some file but not all also main time when I check under disk management it showing me that drive is healthy and it?s only letting me do is formatting the disk????.please guys help me is there any way that I can recover the drive???. thank you soooo much in advance. Please mail me at gomesajay@yahoo.com

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: External hard drive crash(MaxtorOneTouch II300GB)please Help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: External hard drive crash(MaxtorOneTouch II300GB)please Help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
recover files

If you want to recover files, I could recommend you a product, DATA RECOVERY WIZARD, which is efficient and valuable. I thing the most important thing is recovering files.

Collapse -
First we are seeing easeus products spammed here.

In reply to: External hard drive crash(MaxtorOneTouch II300GB)please Help

For that I don't recommend that name. Instead I suggest you look at our Storage forum and the cures are to replace the drive housing if there is any power issue or anomaly.

Next for recovery software we try these -> Getdataback and Zero Assumption Recovery.

In closing, hard disks are convenient copies. We still need to backup these.
Bob

Collapse -
Like Bob I recommend avoiding SPAMMED products ...

as although they may actually be OK their methods and techniques for name recognition are suspect.

When the error message includes words to the effect of "file or directory is corrupted and unreadable" I recommend making use of Window's native CHKDSK with the /R /F switches from the command prompt (assuming the external drive is shown in "My Computer" as drive F the actual command would be CHKDSK f: /R /F). That often solves the problem by repairing the directory structure.

Sometimes it doesn't work until the drive is removed from the external case and attached as an internal drive but try it first while still in its external configuration since Disk Management still recognizes it as a partitioned volume.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.