Thank you for being a valued part of the CNET community. As of December 1, 2020, the forums are in read-only format. In early 2021, CNET Forums will no longer be available. We are grateful for the participation and advice you have provided to one another over the years.

Thanks,

CNET Support

General discussion

external hard drive choice

Dec 25, 2007 8:02PM PST

Hi

I would like to buy for my MBP an External Desktop Drive.
This will be my first one.
Could you please recommend me some good quality hard drives.
Also could you please tell me when I am choosing what options to look for please?
For example I would like sth between 300-500 GB,
but don't know whats the difference between Firewire,USB 2.0 cable ,eSATA...etc.

thanks for your help

Discussion is locked

- Collapse -
For starters.
Dec 25, 2007 9:31PM PST

The interfaces you listed, your average Mac has only 1 or maybe 2 of the list so that helps.

For the Mac I prefer the firewire connection. If anyone enters into a debate over speed of firewire or USB 2.0 just nod and keep moving.

What works is any mass produced unit. What else you need to know is this things are still hard disks and require just as much backup as any hard disk. These are not "storage."

Bob

- Collapse -
Not following your abbreviations
Dec 26, 2007 12:30AM PST

What's "MBP"

"I would like to buy for my MBP an External Desktop Drive."

What's "sth"

"For example I would like sth between 300-500 GB, . . ."

- Collapse -
(NT) MBP is a MacBook Pro (see apple.com)
Dec 26, 2007 12:35AM PST
- Collapse -
I kinda guessed that from your post ...but still that leaves
Dec 26, 2007 2:03AM PST

the other 'sth' ?

Was hoping the poster might at least spell out any words before abbreviating them clarifying such abbreviations for the rest of us.

Happy New Year
VAPCMD

- Collapse -
To timada41: about post deletion.
Sep 7, 2008 11:04PM PDT

Sorry, but we don't allow such hidden links to some random shop if you ask for advice on a specific type of external disk. Please link to the makers site if you want comments on it, or simply mention make and model.

It's up to you if you buy with a local shop, with a cheap supplier in South Africa or Brasil via Internet, or anything in between.

Kees