General discussion

external hard drive choice

Hi

I would like to buy for my MBP an External Desktop Drive.
This will be my first one.
Could you please recommend me some good quality hard drives.
Also could you please tell me when I am choosing what options to look for please?
For example I would like sth between 300-500 GB,
but don't know whats the difference between Firewire,USB 2.0 cable ,eSATA...etc.

thanks for your help

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: external hard drive choice
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: external hard drive choice
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
For starters.

The interfaces you listed, your average Mac has only 1 or maybe 2 of the list so that helps.

For the Mac I prefer the firewire connection. If anyone enters into a debate over speed of firewire or USB 2.0 just nod and keep moving.

What works is any mass produced unit. What else you need to know is this things are still hard disks and require just as much backup as any hard disk. These are not "storage."

Bob

- Collapse -
Not following your abbreviations

What's "MBP"

"I would like to buy for my MBP an External Desktop Drive."

What's "sth"

"For example I would like sth between 300-500 GB, . . ."

- Collapse -
(NT) MBP is a MacBook Pro (see apple.com)
- Collapse -
I kinda guessed that from your post ...but still that leaves

the other 'sth' ?

Was hoping the poster might at least spell out any words before abbreviating them clarifying such abbreviations for the rest of us.

Happy New Year
VAPCMD

- Collapse -
To timada41: about post deletion.

Sorry, but we don't allow such hidden links to some random shop if you ask for advice on a specific type of external disk. Please link to the makers site if you want comments on it, or simply mention make and model.

It's up to you if you buy with a local shop, with a cheap supplier in South Africa or Brasil via Internet, or anything in between.

Kees

CNET Forums

Forum Info