General discussion

External Hard Drive and Boot Issue

I built a new machine any everything works great unless my external hard drive is plugged into the USB port. When it is plugged in, on boot up the computer will tell me that it can't find a hard drive. If I un plug it and boot its fine. If I plug it in after boot up, it works fine. I can't figure out why I can't leave it plugged in? Is this a setting in CMOS? Please Help?
I am running the following hardware.
ABIT AN7
AMD 3200
512 DDRAM 3200
Seagate 120G 7200 SATA Drive
Windows XP Pro

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: External Hard Drive and Boot Issue
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: External Hard Drive and Boot Issue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Your bios setting?

"
In the CMOS there are a couple of settings for the USB controller which are labeled as legacy 1.1 support. I figured that meant that unless enabled, the USB ports would operate in 2.0 mode only. According to the motherboard manual, which I should have read -- but real men don't read manuals Happy -- says that it's for providing USB support to OSs that don't support USB, like DOS. I disabled those options and things are once again working. "
- yewanchors

- Collapse -

I will try this. Thanks!

- Collapse -

Still works the same. not change! Thanks!

- Collapse -
2 ideas.

1. Make sure you've checked the Abit website for:
a. Latest BIOS.
b. Latest Motherboard and USB 2.0 drivers.

2. See if http://www.usbman.com notes this issue.

3. Not so much an idea, but my externals didn't work super until I put SP2 on XP.

Bob

- Collapse -
2 ideas

Thanks for your help. My version of XP Pro was just bought and already has SP2. I will look for bios updates from Abit. Bios Updates are real easy to do these days, unlike they used to be. Thanks for the other website info!

CNET Forums

Forum Info