Windows Legacy OS forum

Resolved Question

External hard disks not being read by pc

by rik859 / July 8, 2013 11:35 PM PDT

Hi,rik back with another problem...

none of my three hard disks (Seagate two 500 gbs n one 320 gb) are being read by my computer.The device manager too fails to see them. But all of them are working fine in my dad's computer.My computer still reads my 4 gb pen drive though.

Can someone PLEASE help?

rik859 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: External hard disks not being read by pc
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: External hard disks not being read by pc
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by rik859

Collapse -
Not yet.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 8, 2013 11:49 PM PDT

You could try telling more such as the drives are attached with USB 3, formatted to exFAT which XP does not support until XP SP3, special drivers and more.

As presented, they should not work. It's also possible there are other issues but as posted, help is a little ways away.
Bob

Collapse -
Sorry
by rik859 / July 12, 2013 2:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Not yet.

two points I stupidly forgot to mention was that its SP2 and that i have been using the external hard disks in my machine for a long time, its just that for the last month or so strangely they are being rejected. From my faint knowledge, all I can make out is that somehow some driver got deleted or something like that...

Lots of thanks..

Collapse -
Or
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 13, 2013 1:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry

Or the drives are USB powered and we know that front USB ports have always been iffy then as time passes may get worse. OR the drives were formatted FAT32 and once in a while they just vanish as the file system gets corrupted.

I'm not saying any of this is what happened but your posts are missing so much detail that it's not possible to put forward a good idea but do try them on another PC.

And let's hope you've learned the lesson about backups.
Bob

Collapse -
Okay
by rik859 / July 13, 2013 2:47 PM PDT
In reply to: Or

firstly the drivers are USB powered...secondly in the properties of the drive it shows file system FAT32.

if these information dont help you always can ask for more...

sorry for the inconvenience, thats the problem when you are talking to a computer illiterate like me...

thanks a lot.

Collapse -
Then try it on
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 14, 2013 10:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Okay

Another PC and rear USB ports which have more power to spin up the drives.

FAT32 is too dangerous in my opinion so I'd just start over with NTFS and copy in from the backup copies.
Bob

Collapse -
Solved
by rik859 / July 19, 2013 2:29 PM PDT
In reply to: Then try it on

its the cable that has gone wrong...connecting directly works fine.

Bob can you please tell how can I start over with NTFS as you said lastly?

Thank you.

Collapse -
How to format a drive in NTFS
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 19, 2013 11:17 PM PDT
In reply to: Solved

If I take that question to Google I see thousands of prior discussions so I can't add more.

Good to read it was the cable. The other parts tend to cost us.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!