General discussion

External Hard Disk permanent file removal!

hello very very nice pupil

i have a lame issue thats annoying me alot..i wana sell my external HDD, but since i know the fact that its literally impossible to delete any files from the hdd permanently i need help , i know this much that u can overwrite the data several times or somthing like that to make the data unrecoverable! so anyone please advise me a method/software to do that! is file-shredding through a software like spybot SD would work?

thanks

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: External Hard Disk permanent file removal!
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: External Hard Disk permanent file removal!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Look up DBAN

DBAN is discussed often in these forums but BEWARE IT DOES WHAT IT SAYS. It may erase all drives attached to the machines. Another is ERASER at http://eraser.heidi.ie/ which I have yet to bother with since I'll just use old DBAN.

With DBAN some owners may claim it destroyed their hard drive. What I found was the owner didn't know how to create a partition after DBAN was used.
Bob

- Collapse -
thx

Dban and the other soft needs to create a bootable media, is it possible to use a software to accomplish the nazi objective!

- Collapse -
Thought I covered that.

Did you look at eraser? It runs on windows.

If not, supply a link to where it shows making a boot CD.

- Collapse -
thx for the help

eraser cant delete the files for some reason, i get an error , but i found disk-wipe , any reviews on that software, it claims to remove everything permanently, it got all the patterns from 3 passes to 35 , any recommendations ?

- Collapse -
Some files can't be wiped in Windows.

There are reasons why, discussed often. Such as the System Information Volume or similar folder. This is why we don't use Windows if we want to erase a drive.
Bob

- Collapse -
ello

well some say that 3 pass overwrite will make it hard to recover...just to be sure, what software i need to recover this data? is it really paintakin process?

- Collapse -
That's not what I commented on.

One pass is sufficient unless you are trying to avoid recovery by experts in the NSA or other three letter agency.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info