Storage forum

General discussion

External Hard Disk Empty

by missyleeloo09 / April 21, 2009 6:30 AM PDT

Hi.

I have 250GB external hard disk wherein I stored most of my files. I plugged it in on my computer at my office and it was working perfectly. After safely removing it and plugging it again my folder says 'EMPTY'. I checked the properties and it shows my files, but unfortunately i cannot find any of them.

I tried restoring by way of downloading alot of softwares but eventually it cannot be restored. Sad

Is it because of the virus why this thing happened?

How can i recover my files.

Please I need help.

Appreciate it. Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: External Hard Disk Empty
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: External Hard Disk Empty
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: data recovery
by Kees Bakker / April 21, 2009 6:44 AM PDT

Your post isn't very clear, alas.

I've never seen a folder say "EMPTY". And it's not clear what "it shows my files, but I cannot find any of them" means. Nor if it's only ONE folder that has this problem or all folders. Nor what software you downloaded and what you did after you downloaded them.

- What does the pie-chart in the disk-properties say about total and free disc space? Is it what you expect or are files lost?
- Did you do a chkdsk on the drive?
- Do the files show up if you show hidden and system files?
- Do they show up in the attrib-command?

It's not yet time to cal a professional data recovery company, like ontrack.com or drivesavers.com. But that might become necessary/

Did nobody ever tell you that external hard disks are RATHER UNRELIABLE? And that you MUST make a backup copy of your files (burn to DVD, for example, or copy to one or two internal hard disks) if you don't want to loose them? With a little bit of bad luck, you can tell others!

Kees

Collapse -
Re: data recovery
by missyleeloo09 / April 22, 2009 2:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: data recovery

Hi Kees!

Sorry if i got you confused. Let me rephrase it. I tried to open the hard disk but there's absolutely nothing on it. But if you check the disk properties, i still get the same used space size as before. That means all the files are still there. i'am a noob here and really don't know what to do. i know some basics like "show hidden files and finding it through command prompt" but still it doesn't work.

I tried using zar84 data recovery but i only retrieved 1 folder out of 50+ and it took more than 4 hours just on scanning the disk. It's just a trial version anyway.

Any suggestion? Can you please give me some solutions that are not that complicated?

Thanking you in advance!

Collapse -
Data recovery will take a few days.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 22, 2009 2:33 AM PDT

It's on USB and there are gigabytes to sift through so set aside time for the following titles to do the work.

GETDATABACK
ZERO ASSUMPTION RECOVERY
EASYRECOVERY

Now we have had a few folk complain the demos don't recover the data. That's how demos work. Nuff about that.
Bob

Collapse -
data recovery will take a few days.
by missyleeloo09 / April 22, 2009 3:04 AM PDT

Actually, I tried using all these demos unfortunately only one folder got retrieved.

Absolutely! it will take a few days or weeks trying to get back my files.

I was just wondering if there would be an easy way. Sad

I guess by patience will be tested then.

Thanks for the help. Happy

Missy Happy

Collapse -
If those demos only show that much. Next stop?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 22, 2009 5:38 AM PDT
Collapse -
data recovery
by pacific112j / November 13, 2011 11:47 PM PST

Hy missyleeloo09!

I have the same problem.
How did you solve your problem?

Thanks!

Collapse -
Years later.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 14, 2011 11:22 PM PST
In reply to: data recovery
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.