General discussion

External DVD Drives

Hello everyone,

I need a DVD drive because I have all these DVDs that I can't use without a DVD drive.

I can't use a internal drive because there is no more room on my computer.

I don't need a DVD burner but I have found that most of the external DVD drives are burners.

I want to know if there are any external DVD drives that aren't very expensive.

Thanks,
nhurden

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: External DVD Drives
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: External DVD Drives
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Odd...

With DVD recorders being 35 to 39 bucks and a housing you can do this from newegg or other.

Also, you can replace the CDRW drive with the new drive and save the cost and hassle of the external drive.

-> I'd replace the internal drive.

Bob

- Collapse -
me too

I'd replace the internal drive with a Dual Layer DVD+/-RW drive. It will work with all the major media types.

- Collapse -
External DVD Drives

I can't replace the internal drive because I have a dell optiplex that has an unusual CD drive and has Mini PCI ports because It is designed to be thin and have the CD drive sideways

- Collapse -
Unusual like this one?
- Collapse -
Just like it

The drive is just like one you would find on a notebook

nhurden

- Collapse -
Connector

I already have a Notebook DVD ROM drive but it has a different connector than a desktop one.

And if it would help I have a dell optiplex 260 series

- Collapse -
What they do 99.99% fo the time...

Is to put a laptop to IDE adaptor on the drive. It only looks different until I pull off the adapter and put it on the new drive.

Bob

- Collapse -
True, but quite slow...

... and also not so easy to find if write speed does matter. Notebook DVD-RW's for 80 bucks are just too lame. Couldn't actually find a 16x write 4 x DL write notebook drive at all.
Ah, guy doesn't need a writer. Sorry. Then a $79 Panasonic UJ-815-B (8 x read, also writes at 2 x, no DL) would probably do (at some Yahoo store).
I recently bought an unused factory sealed Toshiba DVD - read only for $15 (well, on eBay) for my daughters old notebook.
Even if there is no built in connector, a converter can be found (or just cut the wires, one needs just 5 Volts ant data)

- Collapse -
Can't find one

Where do you buy a Laptop to IDE adaptor?

And, what are they also called?

- Collapse -
Many places.

I've seen them at newegg and geeks.com However your drive has one you can remove and reuse.

Bob

- Collapse -
I don't already have one

I have another adaptor on the drive but it is different.

The old CD drive has a normal IDE port but no other ports.

There is a adaptor on the drive that adds a power supply and a audio port but there is no Laptop to IDE adaptor on the drive.

I am planning to buy one before christmas.

- Collapse -
What is the issue here?

The online stores have the adapters but I bet there will be no audio out on the adapter (mine doesn't). I won't hunt down the exact link for you since you can do that.

Cheers,

Bob

- Collapse -
SATA?

If your MB has a seperate SATA/RAID connection, you can install another drive there

- Collapse -
I bought one but it still doesn't work

I bought one of the adaptors. It fits onto the drive but not onto the computer!

Can I use another computer on my network that has a DVD drive and access it through the network?

CNET Forums

Forum Info