Thank you for being a valued part of the CNET community. As of December 1, 2020, the forums are in read-only format. In early 2021, CNET Forums will no longer be available. We are grateful for the participation and advice you have provided to one another over the years.

Thanks,

CNET Support

General discussion

External DVD Drives

Dec 11, 2005 3:48PM PST

Hello everyone,

I need a DVD drive because I have all these DVDs that I can't use without a DVD drive.

I can't use a internal drive because there is no more room on my computer.

I don't need a DVD burner but I have found that most of the external DVD drives are burners.

I want to know if there are any external DVD drives that aren't very expensive.

Thanks,
nhurden

Discussion is locked

- Collapse -
Odd...
Dec 11, 2005 9:03PM PST

With DVD recorders being 35 to 39 bucks and a housing you can do this from newegg or other.

Also, you can replace the CDRW drive with the new drive and save the cost and hassle of the external drive.

-> I'd replace the internal drive.

Bob

- Collapse -
me too
Dec 11, 2005 10:44PM PST

I'd replace the internal drive with a Dual Layer DVD+/-RW drive. It will work with all the major media types.

- Collapse -
External DVD Drives
Dec 12, 2005 2:45PM PST

I can't replace the internal drive because I have a dell optiplex that has an unusual CD drive and has Mini PCI ports because It is designed to be thin and have the CD drive sideways

- Collapse -
Unusual like this one?
Dec 12, 2005 8:20PM PST
- Collapse -
Just like it
Dec 13, 2005 2:14PM PST

The drive is just like one you would find on a notebook

nhurden

- Collapse -
Connector
Dec 13, 2005 3:37PM PST

I already have a Notebook DVD ROM drive but it has a different connector than a desktop one.

And if it would help I have a dell optiplex 260 series

- Collapse -
What they do 99.99% fo the time...
Dec 14, 2005 12:29AM PST

Is to put a laptop to IDE adaptor on the drive. It only looks different until I pull off the adapter and put it on the new drive.

Bob

- Collapse -
True, but quite slow...
Dec 15, 2005 8:52PM PST

... and also not so easy to find if write speed does matter. Notebook DVD-RW's for 80 bucks are just too lame. Couldn't actually find a 16x write 4 x DL write notebook drive at all.
Ah, guy doesn't need a writer. Sorry. Then a $79 Panasonic UJ-815-B (8 x read, also writes at 2 x, no DL) would probably do (at some Yahoo store).
I recently bought an unused factory sealed Toshiba DVD - read only for $15 (well, on eBay) for my daughters old notebook.
Even if there is no built in connector, a converter can be found (or just cut the wires, one needs just 5 Volts ant data)

- Collapse -
Can't find one
Dec 17, 2005 2:27PM PST

Where do you buy a Laptop to IDE adaptor?

And, what are they also called?

- Collapse -
Many places.
Dec 17, 2005 11:35PM PST

I've seen them at newegg and geeks.com However your drive has one you can remove and reuse.

Bob

- Collapse -
I don't already have one
Dec 18, 2005 1:10PM PST

I have another adaptor on the drive but it is different.

The old CD drive has a normal IDE port but no other ports.

There is a adaptor on the drive that adds a power supply and a audio port but there is no Laptop to IDE adaptor on the drive.

I am planning to buy one before christmas.

- Collapse -
What is the issue here?
Dec 18, 2005 11:38PM PST

The online stores have the adapters but I bet there will be no audio out on the adapter (mine doesn't). I won't hunt down the exact link for you since you can do that.

Cheers,

Bob

- Collapse -
SATA?
Dec 15, 2005 9:13PM PST

If your MB has a seperate SATA/RAID connection, you can install another drive there

- Collapse -
I bought one but it still doesn't work
Jan 7, 2006 9:51AM PST

I bought one of the adaptors. It fits onto the drive but not onto the computer!

Can I use another computer on my network that has a DVD drive and access it through the network?